Water, oil and lots of smoke coming out of exhaust

robinm1, Jun 26, 9:02am
Could be as simple as a head gasket, a few hundred to fix, or a cracked head which could easy run over a 1000 to fix, or a cracked block, again an expensive repair. But until the head is pulled you are not going to know. But what ever it is, it is not going to be a $49.95 repair!

snoopy221, Jun 26, 9:03am
IT'S A WORRY.
End of the day oil is supposed to be in the engine sump.
water is supposed to be in the engine cooling system.
For it to exit it's normal places via the engine and exhaust sorta mens.
There isa very BIG problem with the engine.
Only advice ANYONE can give here IMHO
ISa DECENT reputable garage/mechanic/engine reconditioner and compression cyl leakage and relevant engine CONDITION tests.
From there vehicle value and secondhand REPUTABLE engiine or strip and ascertain costings.

icemans1, Jun 26, 4:47pm
i agree. i had a blown head gasket on a galant about 8 years ago, cost was about $9 hundy to fix. gasket sets can be expensive

m16d, Jun 26, 7:38pm
You sure the kids haven't stuffed something up the exhaust pipe.
Does the car run OK, is it using any water.!

jason18, Jun 26, 11:48pm
Its not just condensation and soot!Or does it smoke all the time

hrt, Jun 27, 1:03am
GDI one by any chance!

phillip.weston, Jun 27, 2:54am
A 2000 one will be GDI yes, more than likely the 2.4 engine.

I'm guessing that it's condensation from the exhaust and the excess soot build up which these engines are prone to which is being mistaken for water and oil coming out of the exhaust. I would say the inlet manifold and inlet ports need a serious cleaning out to remove carbon build up which restricts flow to the cylinders usually causing the engine to run rich, and the oil smoke is probably from the gummed up oil control rings because the piston skirts don't have enough drain holes around it. It seems to be the 2.4 GDI which is the most problematic, usually with oil consumption troubles - where the 1.8 and 2.0 GDIs are much better in comparison.

mugenb20b, Jun 27, 5:17am
OK, open the bonnet and check the radiator water level. Is it OK! And do you see GDi written on the plastic engine cover!

phillip.weston, Jul 31, 4:40pm
All Chariot Grandis from 1997 to 2002 shape are GDI.