1996 Prado Experts Please

bagal, Jun 24, 10:38am
Thinking of buying a 96 Prado 3 dr. Diesel manual preferred but would consider auto. Can anyone tell me what the difference is between RS, RX and RZ versions and also the round headlight vs the square headlight versions! Anything particular to watch out for on these!

vtecintegra, Jun 24, 10:41am

moca_lee, Jun 25, 9:44am
we had a 1996 5 door prado and couldnt get rid of the thing quick enough, thirsty on the fuel and wobbled like buggery. It made us car sick. It got recalled by toyota while we had it to fix the chassis, apparently a manufacturing problem. They have their merits but we wouldnt touch one agian.

franc123, Jun 25, 10:02am
Steering rack bushes, cracked cylinder heads, power window switches, starter motor solenoids, leaky injector pumps/power steering pumps on early versions, thats about all I can think of.The only thing thats expensive to fix properly are the heads and, if the cooling system hasn't been maintaned A1 there is trouble ahead guaranteed.The question is why do you really want one!They are stupidly overpriced for what you get, as above they aren't nice to travel in, so-so economy, and really are a terrible choice for anyone other than rural lifestylers who can't stomach the thought of buying a Landrover Discovery.Laugh if you want to but if you're not doing huge kms, consider getting something like a 3 door V6 Pajero and save yourself about 8 grand in "Toyota Tax".

bagal, Jun 26, 6:07am
Not dead set on a Prado. In fact would prefer a 3dr Nissan with the 3.0 l diesel but they are rather rare. Hadn't really considered a petrol Pajero but if there was one available for $8K less would consider. That would be a '96 with 125km for $3K. Any available for that!

grangies, Jun 26, 6:15am
Have you considered an Isuzu Bighorn 3 door.!

phillip.weston, Jun 26, 6:29am
You sir, are my hero.

muzz67, Jul 30, 2:11am
Did not like Prado at all,, too top heavy, like cornering in a double-decker bus!. Bought 96 Surf instead, very pleased. Sits flatter on corners(like a single-decker bus!)