Engine additives

jezz43, Jun 20, 8:49am
motor-up, do it work! what about similar products that claim different things!
ive seen an advert with an engine encased in a block of ice and it still started first pop using motor up. do these products really do whats claimed or is it just another marketing scam!

mugenb20b, Jun 20, 8:51am
Marketing scam. Just use good quality engine oil and you'll be fine.

morrisman1, Jun 20, 8:54am
The only additive I've ever noticed a difference with is a bit of two stroke oil (mineral/semisynthetic low ash) in diesel fuel. Reduces diesel knock substantially

jmma, Jun 20, 9:05am
I use power up in my Dyna deisel truck and I do get 40 - 50 km more from a tank full, I'm a believer in it as I see it with my own eyes

tnt423, Jun 20, 9:29am
How much two stroke oil do you run! I just started using it after my engine was running on a bit after shut down, so far it has almost stopped it only done it once in two weekd, it seems to run quiter as well.

sfw4, Jun 20, 9:31am
if its smoking put in half a tube of MP grease. banana peels in GBox stops the winding :p

foxdonut, Jun 20, 9:38am
I've seen that ice encased engine example too. While it looks impressive, encasing a motor in ice and starting it isn't really that big a deal - unless of course they filled it with water entirely, then froze it - in which case it would take a lot more than some Toulene / diesel, aka "Motor Up" to kick it over.

That would be a job for Marine66 / WD40 ;)

next-to-normal, Jun 21, 11:16am
motor up is very good stuff,more pep, less fuel,great for the diesel,takes about 400k to kick in,so do it on a trip,

morrisman1, Jun 21, 11:24am
I thinkI used 1:200, the car had a 70L tank so that would be 350mL of 2 stroke oil.

strobo, Jun 21, 3:07pm
Additives are not treatments, some are alcohol based & we allknowthat alcohol evaporates into thin air , Afuel treatment that broke down the molecular structure of moisture in diesel or petrol to help it dissipate through combustion, actually increased engine performance, so the theory went , that the moisturein fuel wasnt actually removed at all. but atomizedfollowed by combustion .Anadded treatment product that did 3 things, one was antioxidizing,two tolubricate,3toalter ppm.
Agreat productI pushed years ago, with out naming directly here , isanMBL , ( Metal based lubricant) in the grease & oil range .
http://www.fueloiltreatments.com.au/!gclid=CMmLyILdxKkCFQoGbAodfwNlNg

rovercitroen, Jun 21, 8:21pm
I have used Pro-Ma additives and they seem to be one of the few that really work. MBL8 cured a cold start rattle in my VR Commodore. The dealer had tried a few things (car had only done about 50,000 km) but no success. The MBL8 worked a treat.
I have used Morey's oil Stabilizer to quieten and cut down smoke on an old engine. It works well but is basically just an oil thickener.

mrfxit, Jun 21, 9:08pm
LOLyea know the feeling, used to do stuff like that to my Briggs mower engines.
Last 1 to die was 2 years lawn contracting & 6 years domestic usage after that.
Only died because the top bearing & coil setup couldn't cope with the excess wear.
Never touched the engine it's self in all that time.

ceebee2, Jun 23, 4:44am
Modern oil is well up to the task so no additives required. Save your money.

Cheers CeeBee (Auto Tech 30 years)

sirdoug, Jun 26, 3:58am
Motor Up is teflon based and you know how long that lasts on a fry pan.Don,t waste your money.

jason_247, Jun 26, 7:13am
while nulon 80000km engine treatment is PTFE based (polytetraflouroethelyne if i recall correctly) that is the new teflon

havent tried it myself

grangies, Jun 26, 7:24am
Oh dear Lord have mercy!

The one on the left has stuffed a baby camel's toe, in her knickers.

aktow, Jun 26, 1:36pm
one day you might be heavy footed or do more city driving, that can add 40-50km more or less to your fuel mireage. even weight makes a hell of a difference.

snoopy221, Jul 29, 5:16pm
ive seen an advert with an engine encased in a block of ice
lolread once that fish loses it's **freshness** when it goes below zero degrees and the BEST way to have **caught today** fish after being in the freezer for 6 or MORE months is to freeze it in a bag of water.
WHY.
BECAUSE ice does NOT go below ZERO and the **fresh fish** is kept ABOVE zero by the.
BLOCK OF ICE IT IS FROZEN IN.
P.S. if you don't believe this GO buy 2 fresh fillets-eat1 freeze the other for a MONTH in water.
then well
you WILL believe.
LOL
ah dear a BLOCK OF ICE.