Suzuki Swift.anyone drive one? know about them?

Page 2 / 2
wrong2, Jun 23, 6:59am
how can anyone take you seriously when you like the character-less blob on 4 wheels that is the modern Swift !

your "modern" DOHC engine in your over-rated , over heavy under handeling Punto is 20 HP down on the 1988 SOHC 1300 from honda btw

r15, Jun 23, 7:23am
tried an RS Yaris !

zetec, Jun 23, 9:06am
Autocar NZ last month had a test of Swift, Fiesta, and Jazz. While they rated the Fiesta tops, it was a close run with the Swift. The Fiesta is rated as best in the class along with the Polo (see Wheels latest comparison), so the new Swift cannot be too bad at all - it rates against the best in class.

obook, Jun 23, 9:07am
cheers.interesting

slarty45, Jun 23, 9:10am
Will this throw a spanner in thejazzpianoma's works!
http://www.autoblog.com/2009/12/09/officially-official-vw-and-suzuki-tie-the-knot/

i-n-horz, Jun 23, 9:16am
Any other info appreciated! well here it is.drop the Swifts and go for the Grand Vitara LTD 2.4 petrol.
Partner & I test drove Swifts/Swifts Sports/Alto among other vehicle brands and found the Vitara (ours is 09) to be superior in all round visibility from a drivers point of view, plenty of punch in the power range and being a 4 door has plenty of interior space for comfort.
It's a good size SUV without being too large and very economical to run, it has a very firm and sturdy presence on the road but also the ride is comfortable I would have to say it's one of the only vehicles we have ever owned that nearly ticks all the boxes.we're a family of 10 that's 1 box unticked =)

berg, Jun 23, 9:17am
We have a Swift Sport and love it. Now done 114,000kms without any problems, gets 6.5ltrs per 100kms on average, 83,000kms from tyres, brakes not even worn yet etc etc. Mum and Dad just pinched it for a week and went round the North Island and loved it so much they are looking to buy one. I will be trading it on a new one at some stage.

countrypete, Jun 23, 9:17am
Yes, VW are anxious to gain the benefit of Suzuki's expertise in the small car segment, as well as the manufacturing capabilities in the world's emerging markets.Don'cha love it Jazz: )

slarty45, Jun 23, 9:22am
Allready got one thanks, went with the 3 door manual 2.4. Very happy with it.

countrypete, Jun 23, 9:27am
I drive a Grand Vitara 3dr 2.4.Been very naughty with what I have towed at times (oops, hope johnf_456 isn't reading this)

slarty45, Jun 23, 9:43am
Tow a 750kg boat with mine, hardly know it's there.
Good tow vehicle.
Wish it would snow so I can have a play.

berg, Jun 23, 9:51am
Used to tow my FiGlass Fireball with my SWB "ragtop" 1600 Vitara without any problems. Having worked as a mechanic for Suzuki I can honestly say they are a hugely under-rated, reliable vehicle.

countrypete, Jun 23, 9:55am
oops.Been known to tow my 1800kg boat with my 3dr.Does it fine, even on ramps have not had to use low ratio.And yes, I know that I should not tow anything that weighs more than the towing car.Guess I'm just naughty!

cocabowla, Jun 23, 10:05am
euro cars have terrible resale value , always have always will. the only way that will change is to buy into a japanese brand and sell them under that tag , the only company that did so far was renault buying into nissan . hence the euro look that started with the '00 pulsar range , tino, tiida etc.

wrong2, Jun 23, 10:13am
new Primera was a reanault design with Nissan powertrain

mattyj5, Jun 23, 9:21pm
AMEN xacoon! It definitely appears jazz is suffering from tunnell vision. The average vehicle owner/driver in NZ are just simply not interested in buying or driving european rubbish. Lets just look at the sales for 2010:
VW - 1992 sales
Fiat - 80 sales
Suzuki - 4411 sales
Its a no brainer to work out what the general public in NZ prefer to purchase and drive.
Sure the european vehicles are ahead in technology compared to most Japanese vehicles.but to the average driver this just means a lot of little black boxes that can (and regularly do) decide to give up and leave you stranded on the side of the road.but hey nothing a quick 2 or 3 thousand dollars wont fix. Being an auto technician for the last 23 years I have had the oppurtunity to work on all makes and models of vehicles. And I would have to say that the most unreliable of vehicles always seemed to have a european badge of some sort on the front (or at least fitted with a european engine and electrics). Just ask a Holden Vectra-B (a rebadged Opel) owner if they would ever consider buying another, or how disappointing the resale value was. Very disappointing actually as the world has always been led to believe that "European means quality" - but history speaks for itself!
Obook dont listen to all the pro euro jargon.the Swift is a great little car, as is most of the Japanese vehicles.4411 people last year in NZ cant all be wrong!

cocabowla, Jun 23, 10:18pm
yes, primera was under etc category. lol

phillip.weston, Jun 23, 10:31pm
and that obviously worked out sooo well for them haha! Their re-sale is almost as bad as the Maxima.

thejazzpianoma, Jun 24, 1:36am
It would be interesting to hear what you think after driving a MK5 (starts 2004) Golf. The 2.0 FSI or the Diesel would be the go. Both are very forgiving on fuel so no need to panic about fuel cost with the bigger motor.
The clever new ultra efficient 2.0 FSI does 0-100 in about 8 1/2 seconds which I find just a nice usable amount of power for all purposes, certainly quick enough for passing even when loaded. If you want the ease of use of an auto for around town the DSG is phenomenal, its going to give you 6 gears and automatic shifting but with all the economy of a manual transmission. (Because there is no torque converter to sap the power and economy) In tiptronic mode it can literally change quicker than you can blink so its fantastic for driving manually as well.
No torque converter and lots of gears with a very efficient engine gives you the outstanding economy yet still delivers the power.
Its likely going to be in your price range and just runs rings around what you are driving now and blows the Suzuki right out of the water right across the board.
Its just such a shame VW took so very long to sort the Polo out. I wonder how many people like you decided to look elsewhere because their Polo didn't deliver the goods.

thejazzpianoma, Jun 24, 1:47am
Old news, as noted above Fiat hold stock in the company and provided them with their excellent Diesel engines as in the road test I mentioned. Now VW will do the same. I think its fantastic, much better for the Japanese to buy quality proven diesels and other technology from the best in the market while they get themselves up to speed in that area. Rather than ruining their name with poor "rush to market" attempts like Toyota have tried.
Don't know if we will see it but Suzuki's with DSG transmissions and VW engines would likely be fantastic. thinking about it. I wonder if thats why Suzuki are still persevering with the dreadful 4 speed. perhaps its a stopgap!

I just hope Suzuki NZ wake up and start pushing their Fiat/VW Diesel powered lines. NZ is screaming out for super cheap to run, affordable and reliable 4WD's if they put some of their marketing might into pushing those everyone would benefit. Especially since Atecco are too lazy to import the little Fiat Panda's here.

I would love to see some little Fiat Diesel Powered, SX4's are the likes around in NZ. They are super popular overseas so the should work here.

hotrodtodd1, Jun 26, 4:00am
I just drove my wifes 08 Swift 1500 auto out into the country & it performs okay. Doesnt have cruise control tho & I guess thats because they are in essence, a town car. Before we bought it we tried the 1600 Sports & my wife found it too noisy and unpleasant for a town car.

That said, if Suzuki had brought in the Swift Sport in an auto we would have chosen that over the one we got, simply because you cant not have too much power.

You havent indicated what are the deal breakers for you. Are you after a new car! are you after a certain level of fuel economy!, are you after a certain size car! are you after a certain number of airbags!

I prefer my W8 Passat to my wifes Swift. It is better in every category except fuel economy. And resale values too.

craig04, Jun 26, 6:53am
Isn't it obvious! They are getting milk!

mugenb20b, Jul 28, 4:13pm
Fixed.