Audi 80 diff grumble

krisngel, Jun 24, 7:46am
Think I have run the diff out of oil in my front wheel drive auto.A whine at low speed to loud grumble at greater speed.Will topping up the diff or putting additives in ,help at this stage! Any ideas please

intrade, Jun 24, 7:51am
if i am correct there is 2 places for fluids and likely it is rooted now. dont drive it till you checked and filled to correct level.
peteb_2 rebuilt one of them auto trans and posted that his had 2 places for oil.
My renault diesel also has 2 places for gearbox oil with warnig sticker under bonnet to check both places

krisngel, Jun 24, 7:57am
Thanks intrade im also having trouble getting the filler cap undone.First check in 20 years i think.

vag.central, Jun 25, 5:58am
What year and what engine does it have! The diff is in front of the trans and holds around 750ml of gear oil, there will be two bungs, you will need a 17mm inhex and a decent power bar, take out the top one and see if theres any in there. The seal between the trans and diffs blow and the oils mix resulting in a stuffed trans, diff or both

waythe, Jun 25, 6:30am
set fire to it now we have 2 swear words in our house, landrover and audi ,the diff issues are common and can be expensive it dosn't matter how much or what type oil you use it will need replaceing good luck I had so many issues and cost so much itwas nice to drive and very economical but thats where it ended the rest was a nightmare

vag.central, Jun 25, 7:31am
Its all becasue people are to retarded/lazy to service the trans, ive got one thats been looked after since new and now at 300,000km it still runs like new

krisngel, Jul 26, 1:19pm
Thanks vag.central, Its a 2 Lt 1990 with 194k. Had theauto trans recond about 20 k ago . How do I get to the top bung! Any additives needed !