4x4 SUV for 10K

thunderbolt, Jun 20, 1:57am
Ok team, here is my challenge.
I need to find a 4WD for my dragon in law (yes I am aware that this will end in tears).
Approx 10k to spend (318 to sell or trade worth approx 5K and 5k cash).
Would like smaller than a V6 tribute had one before and found it slightly too big.
Vitara around 2000 model look like they might suit: any comments on reliability! (since anythin that goes wrong will be my fault)

Any other suggestions from the educated folk of TM!

thejazzpianoma, Jun 20, 2:05am
My advice. Unless she is actually going to need 4WD Capability + High ground clearance talk her out of it. Those vehicles in that price range area real compromise. As you said it will end in tears and be your fault.

What is she actually going to use it for!

mugenb20b, Jun 20, 2:05am
Suzuki Vitaras are good, but I wouldn't get the V6. Go for 2.0 litre 4 cylinder petrol.

thunderbolt, Jun 20, 2:11am
They live rural and she misses the height of the Tribute and the space to carry stuff for the lifestyle property. Will most likely never be used in 4WD.

thejazzpianoma, Jun 20, 2:16am
I actually find a lot of those little SUV's are terrible for space. At least it will hopefully be used somewhere other than tarmac. If it was me I would talk her into an XC70. You are going to pay much the same in running costs with those little Jap SUV's anyway, why not have a decent car and be done with.

Best of luck.

mugenb20b, Jun 20, 2:23am
Parts cost too much.

thejazzpianoma, Jun 20, 2:31am
You are unlikely to actually need many parts and the difference in price will hardly feature at all in the total cost of ownership. Besides you can always order cheap as chips online if you want.
From what I have seen of Japanese 4x4 Parts of late the difference is not very notable anyway.
Factors like Fuel Economy and depreciation will be your big costs.

franc123, Jun 20, 2:40am
Sounds like a van of some sort would be a better option, if offroad capability isn't required don't get 4x4, it's guaranteed extra costs in fuel, tyres and repairs.Wny people make this mistake so often is beyond me, the vast majority of SUV's get bought by people that don't use them like they are intended to be used, buying one when your needs could be met by an ordinary 2wd car, wagon or van is nuts.As Jazz has rightly pointed out many aren't even space efficient!

thunderbolt, Jun 20, 3:41am
No way she would drive a van, needs to have a bonnet.

Any more comments on Suzuki vitaras!

thunderbolt, Jun 20, 4:54am
Bump to keep this on the front page thanks to the moron dredging up the stolen car threads.

thunderbolt, Jun 20, 9:02am
Bump 2 to keep this on the front page thanks to the moron dredging up the stolen car threads.

hpaul, Jul 8, 6:57pm
Sunbaru Forester or Toyota Rav4. Forester good if *genuinely* travelled under 120kms, great drive, very good on road, permanant 4wd for off road but not huge ground clearance - very reliable up to about 150 kms - avoid thereafter, buy NZ new with documented history to confirm mileage - assume all imports are clocked. Rav4 - 10k will buy you a 2001 with 100kms, again buy NZ new if possible. Almost nothing goes wrong with these, they have more ground clearance than a Forester but in 2 litre guise they're a bit slower. Rear seats click out and leaves a huge load area. Both cars return 9 litres per 100kms (30mpg in old money).