Crap engine stand

quickstitch, Jun 14, 9:28am
bought an engine stand today, what a peice of crap. it is rated for 1250 lbs. and has two arms at the front instead of one so i thought it should be a decent one. got home assembled it, all good. bolted my cleveland onto it, and the motor is tilting down on about a ten degree angle. so lifted motor off and thought i must have the upright around the wrong way, turned it around and same angle. And because the weight is so far forward, one of the rear castors is swinging in the breeze, about an inch off the ground. should return it but might be easier for me to modify it and weld the upright in on a five degree slant backward. And i thought China was getting their heads around quality.

skin1235, Jun 14, 9:33am
modify it but not like you suggest, extend the front legs further, if the back caster is already off the ground imagine where it's going to be when you lean on the front of the motor,

edit, or get the press going and put a backward bend in the upright, move the mount face back about 150mm

johnf_456, Jun 14, 9:35am
What model and brand, so we all here can avoid it like the plague

h.e, Jun 14, 9:39am
there isnt a pin to lock the opposite leg to the caster thats lifting is there.had a similar problem lifting a mates totalled harley with one

phillip.weston, Jun 14, 9:58am
holy crap! my engine on a supercheap stand didn't lean as much as that one! I know they do bend a bit once you put an engine on it but they usually have a backwards lean to begin with to counter the forwards lean they always get.

skin1235, Jun 14, 10:01am
your original idea, reweld the upright into a rearward angle, is good. and lap a bit of waste strap across the rear of that weld, they're known for tearing that little short spigot off the bottom frame, once they've been modded they last for years

hotrodtodd1, Jun 14, 10:25am
My 1250lb special off TM has brewers droop too. Couldnt handle the SBC so aint letting the BBC anywhere near it. Cant find the trade, so suggest you all avoid them for your own safety sake

intrade, Jun 14, 11:30am
i got a superchap one Tlegedno problem with it had a 2L -t toyota diesel on that no problem.

skin1235, Jun 14, 11:35am
lol ronny, a 2lt-t at about 100kg with the full flywheel on it V Cleveland with heads on 150kg+, and the toyo is shorter too

but any issues with cracking across the lower weld where the upright spigot attaches to the bottom rail yet!, I've seen a couple and heard of others

unclejake, Jun 14, 11:48am
That sucks brother, but it is a Ford engine so it will be heavy, being so full of horsepower and awesomeness

jason18, Jun 14, 8:16pm
hahaha gold

v8_mopar, Jun 14, 8:39pm
I got one of these cheapys and love it. All 8's and 6's I've put on it have been well placed for working and painting on except a 2.6 velox 6 that I had to make a bracket up for to fit

smac, Jun 14, 10:22pm
There's only really three ways this can happen: 1. slop where the upright slots into the base. 2. the upright is bent and 3. slop where you have bolted up the engine.
I'd say 1. no big deal. 2. really unlikely, but no big deal and 3. sort it out

quickstitch, Jun 15, 10:17am
mostly right smac. there is slop were upright meet the base.and slop where the legs insert into the rear beam. and a bit of slop in the engineplate area. might be able to sort out the latter with some big washers. the rest will need welding. i may just weld the engine plate too, it will then only be good for small block fords. can use my other stand for big blocks.