Nissan Skyline or Mazda Atena. which one?

Page 1 / 2
ourlotnz, Jun 7, 4:49am
My husband and I are looking at updating our car.He likes the Nissan Skyline 300GT 2002 an I like the Mazda Atenza 2.3 2003 model. Is anyone able to comment about their experience/knowlege on these cars that may help us to make our decision. Thanks.

franc123, Jun 7, 4:51am
They are two very different vehicles, its going to depend entirely on what you want the car to do.The thing with buying an Atenza is that it will be at least as fun on the twisty bits, be a bit more economical to run, just as spacious if not more inside, and a hell of a lot cheaper to insure no doubt.

2lo4ho, Jun 7, 4:59am
The mazdas a nice car but i think all out enjoyment would be the skyline. Ugly as hell but very nice and smooth to drive. Heavier and slightly thirstier but i would be much more comfy in the skyline.

skyline_guy_r34, Jun 7, 5:04am
The mazda is designed more to be a family car. The 300GT (GT meaning grand touring) is more designed and spec'd as a touring family car, so has better refinements, more extras, and will be such a smooth car to drive.

vtecintegra, Jun 7, 5:28am
I have a 300GT and for the most part its a great car.

Performance is very good (190kw vs 130 in the top Atenza, also has a five speed auto where early Atenzas have 4, Skyline is ~150kg heavier), ride and handling is pretty good.Fuel consumption is very reasonable on the open road but can get up there around town (like any heavier car)

Insurance isn't particularly expensive, certainly nothing like the old turbo models were.The interior looks pretty dated and really only seats four though due to the large transmission tunnel and design of the rear seats.Rear seats don't fold down either although there is a tiny ski port through to the boot.

The car is generally pretty well equipped (but then so is the Atenza) main feature mine is lacking is cruise control which is a bit puzzling.Stereo system is integrated into the dashboard on most models and cannot be easily changed (believe the Atenza is the same) and CD changers have a habit of dying.

Be aware the 250 and 300GT have direct injection motors which can suffer from carbon build up and really need to be run on high octane fuel.

ourlotnz, Jun 7, 5:34am
We didn't think about the insurance cost, so will look into that.Our children have all grown up now so it really what ever car we purchase is just for US! :) We really don't have any intentions of travelling long distance often but more of around town and the odd 50km trip,but will use it as a towing vehicle when required.We have test driven both and have to agree that the Skyline is a smoother and more comfortable car to ride in.We noticed the fuel economy rating on both cars are the same.

kimmy01, Jun 8, 6:35am
We have an Atenza.We must have bought a lemon as looking at other reviews, people seem to be quite happy with their ones.We intended on possibly adding a towbar to ours but with the crappy gearbox, I wouldn't want to risk putting too much load on it and having to rebuild it again.
Why not take both kind of cars for a test drive, then you will know which one you like best!

Opps sorry, just read you had already test driven them.
I dislike skylines so in all honesty, I'd buy neither.No help I know but just my two cents worth lol.

pollymay, Jun 8, 6:35am
Skyline's get stolen, can't turn your back which is a bit of a pain when going places.

gunhand, Jun 8, 6:39am
Not the ones he's lookin at surely!Those ones are past the stealing point and are a mature car. Arn't they!

ct9a, Jun 8, 7:00am
honda accord

clark20, Jun 8, 7:01am
Friends don't let friends drive Skylines

bexx13, Jun 8, 7:29am
If you are looking for something for the 2 of you to enjoy why not a late 70s corvette!. Waaaay better than a shitbox skyline and marginally better than a classy mazda atenza. Guess which 1 I own haha. Go for the Vette then the mazda then an accord and then maybe an austin maxi and MAYBE then a skyline"vomit".

gunhand, Jun 8, 7:32am
Why would you want to buy an HQ!mind you the HQ is actually more practicable.

bexx13, Jun 8, 7:35am
Its an HQ with a difference tho. Specially 1 with a big block and a 4 speed.

un_known, Jun 8, 7:37am
Go for the skyline, personally i think its a far superior car and will be better suited to towing. wouldnt tow with the atenza.skyline will also handle better has a better engine and gearbox.

gunhand, Jun 8, 7:39am
Glad to see you didnt get bent outta shape and take a bit of ribbing lol.

ct9a, Jun 8, 8:54pm
i would have to dis agree there ,brought the misses a 06 atenza yesterday(way cheaper then the audi she wanted) and it is a quick lil car i have to admit and holds the corners dam well

ct9a, Jun 8, 8:57pm
every model bar that handles well
atenza way way cheaper on gas regardless what it says on paper

i see you are in hamilton,would you like me to take you for a strop in a standard OE atenza!

ourlotnz, Jun 9, 6:14am
We appreciate everyones feedback.I checked out the insurance on the Skyline and it is not excessive.When we took the Skyline out for the test drive them seem to be a bit of tyre noise, is that common!Looks like the Skyline is going to win this one.and hubby getting his own way!;)

vtecintegra, Jun 9, 7:19am
I haven't noticed much on mine, but it can be down to brand of tyres installed (I have Dunlop DZ101s)

ourlotnz, Jun 9, 7:41am
This is the hubby of the post-er. I only get my own way when she lets me

rscozzie, Jun 9, 8:22am
get a r32 gtr skyline

grangies, Jun 9, 8:43am
Cheap Corvettes are rubbish.

They look AWESOME, but they are old heaps of crap.

For the money someone wants to spend on a Skyline or Atenza, there is no way they could afford a mint and expensive Corvette.

It's a completely different price range

bexx13, Jun 10, 8:00am
Dude. Lighten up

ourlotnz, May 31, 7:11am
Well we done the deed and purchased the Skyline.Skyline owners, inside on the passenger side on the left side of the dash board is a small looking sensor thingy.Do you know what this is for!