Gearbox Question

sebatrons13, Jun 7, 11:14am
If a gearbox syncros are stuffed and it mildly notches into some gears. Is the gearbox weak or is it jus the syncros need replacing!

lugee, Jun 7, 11:55am
If you don't hear any whining in gears, just notchy shifts then its probably just the synchros. Replacing them is a big job so unless the car is particularly valuable or you have cash to burn then its not really worth it. My car has bugger all synchro on second gear so I just learned to double clutch it, that way if I ever get thrown into a big truck or a pre-synchro car then I'll be able to manage :)

sebatrons13, Jun 7, 1:02pm
Haha, cheers. So replacing the syncros is a big job. Meaning itd be cheaper to just buy another box!

jezz43, Jun 7, 6:55pm
depends on what sort of vehicle you have, but more often than not its cheaper to replace the box

jrlaw, Jun 8, 12:49am
Make sure it has the right oil in it, Mitsubishis only like super slip gear box oil. Otherwise the gear change gets a bit notchy.

ct9a, Jun 8, 12:58am
also if been driven for a while crunching chances are the teeth on cogs will have wear

sr2, Jun 8, 1:57am
Boxes these days are constant mesh!

ct9a, Jun 8, 2:00am
just rebuilt a evo2 and had to replace nearly all the gears,do you understand how a gearbox works!

and the function of the synchro!

ct9a, Jun 8, 2:02am

sebatrons13, Jun 9, 3:56pm
Yeh, Well mine is actually for an evo 2.
I understand how it works basically in theory.

Thanks guys

sebatrons13, Jun 9, 4:01pm
My Q originally was, because the syncros are shot. Is the Gbox now weak!

For example. If i were to limiter launch it on 20psi. Is there more chance that the gearbox will shit itself, than if the syncros were fine!

ct9a, Jun 9, 8:40pm
not weaker
but more chance of damaging the gears as the wont slow down to mesh and be forced in by your self

ct9a, Jun 9, 8:41pm
a limiter launch at 20psi will be slower then say around 5500rpmwhich will get traction wuicker thus allowing boost to come on with grip and quicker 60 foot times

sr2, Jun 9, 8:59pm
Yes, 30 plus years experience!

ct9a, Jun 9, 9:06pm
then you would know how they work,all in contsant mesh yes,but syncro function is to.

i have 10years exp only in modern gearboxes

sr2, Jun 9, 9:22pm
No prob's mate we are probibly in agreement on this one!

elect70, Jun 10, 2:08am
Get a price to replace the synchros & bearings, second hand box could be just as badif you could find 1 . If take it out & refit yourselfcan save a lot of $.

m16d, Jun 10, 2:57am
Pull it to bits and do it yourself. It's not that hard.

sebatrons13, May 26, 8:18pm
Cheers guys.