Help please mitsi gearbox

uhc1, Jan 12, 8:37am
the gearbox has shat beitself in my 1997 4wd 4d56t l200 5spd ute. mitsi have been useless only wanting to sell me a new gearbox and cant find any info online as to compatible boxes from other makes or years. someone help me please i needmy ute back on the road asap! thanks in advance for any help.

ml6989, Jan 12, 8:41am
How much for a new one!

uhc1, Jan 12, 8:43am
5500 bucks. almost as much as its worth.

mugenb20b, Jan 12, 8:46am
That's a very common problem with Mitsi L200s / Tritons and usually happens at around 200 000 km mark. What we do in our workshop, we send the gearboxes away for repairs, takes around 3 to 4 days, and is the best option in my opinion, considering you need the ute asap. I've done 3 Mitsubishis and one Nissan in the last 12 months.

uhc1, Jan 12, 8:49am
a rebuild is not possible as bearings went and shaft has worn grooves in the housing.

ml6989, Jan 12, 9:07am
Try the Gearbox Shop. 0508GEARBOX. They do rebuilds on an exchange basis

frank1, Jan 12, 10:08am
A rebuild is always possible--even if bearing cone has spun/ damaged rear
housing.
Used to repair these a few years ago--and not a real deal.
Regardless of what so called experts say.

robbo36, Jan 13, 1:34am
Agree. These gearboxes wear the rear stepped bearing on the main shaft into the rear housing and they start jumping out of 1st gear. When travelling along, accelerate/de-accelerate in 1st or 3rd gear and if the gearstick movesback and forth, then the rear bearing is worn. They can be rebuilt and the cheapest I found was these guys => http://gearboxes.co.nz/
Last one I had rebuilt by Gearboxes International about 10 years ago cost me $560, which included, new bearings, gaskets, seals and the selectors built up.

male_timaru, Jan 13, 1:37am
Can the bearings be mounted by popping a spring washer in there - not a spring washer as such but a spring loaded mounting when rebuilding to minimise this movement perhaps!

Just a logical thought i had - maybe it could be advertised as a ' feature'of the new models for the company (just like holden did with the swaying boat handling vehicles in the 70's and 80's lol)

mugenb20b, Jan 13, 5:49am
No. The bearings are pressed in or pressed on and there are thrust washers in there, and you can have a certain amount of freeplay in the shafts. The spring washer you are talking about would be useless and wouldn't last 5 minutes or 5 miles, whichever comes first.