Selespeed gearbox.

Page 1 / 2
the-lada-dude, Dec 18, 2:04am
do these things have a use by date !do they have clutch plates that wear out etc !do you have a clutch pedal with this type of g/b !

jazz, ----- do you know of a sourse of well priced fiat parts !
Ta

flitt, Dec 18, 2:22am
1. No, but you knew that.
2. Yes.
3. No.

flitt, Dec 18, 2:33am
I shall elaborate a bit.

They are a higher maintenance piece of equipment compared to standard autos. Lots more bits n pieces to go wrong of various values.

I don't know what you could mean by a 'use by date', I suppose you might be thinking of a km arrangement such as a cam belt or similar. As far as I'm aware there is no such limit for Selespeed clutches.

They are great on the open road. A bit of a pain in stop/start traffic.

intrade, Dec 18, 2:36am
what fiat parts are you after!
Euro - Italian Car Parts Ltd is the only place to buy new parts from

thejazzpianoma, Dec 18, 2:47am
They are just a manual gearbox with actuators to work the clutch and gear change and a central control unit. I think the gearbox itself is just a Fiat Tipo unit or similar.

In itself nothing special, not like the DSG where the whole setup is specifically designed from the ground up to be what it is.

So with that in mind, yes, sure you replace the clutch units in them on occasion. The do tend to last O.K and its generally harder for people to do stupid things to burn out the clutch, although stupid things are still possible.

While they do have their problems most can be dealt with without too much difficulty, as many parts that give trouble are external, and obviously a clutch change on a manual etc is not end of the world.

The bottom line is if the car also comes in manual for similar money, get the manual and save some stress. In cases like the cheap Stilo Abarths around it can be worth getting the Selespeed as there is no alternative.

Its also worth noting that the selespeed should be adjusted on an annual basis. Absence of maintenance like this can cause gears to be crunched etc. Its easy enough to adjust but you do need to use a laptop, cable and cheap/free software to do the job.

Hope that fills you in somewhat!

Oh, and in terms of what they are like to drive. Not a patch on a DSG, the gearchange itself is not particularly slow but feels like it takes forever given we are used to auto transmissions. The "automatic" function is also not that great but usable.

Later versions like the "Duo Logic" is much better but not perfect until the dual clutch version like the DSG.

thejazzpianoma, Dec 18, 2:50am
I havn't tried them. but will!

Dino Enterprises (Mal) is good (although I think you had a run in with him intrade, or so I heard!)

I also use the Italian Auto Centre in Auckland.

Both will ship parts overnight and both are pretty reasonable on price. They both import and stock genuine new parts and have a range of secondhand as well.

intrade, Dec 18, 3:26am
there is 3 who sell parts for fiat the one i posted is the best guy with lowest price like my tipo windo winder 56$ whole unit. this other guy sold me a air cleaner for loads of money more then it would have been at supercheap auto and it was the wrong one even do i given him the mesurments of the flter it was over 10cm to short. his excuse was that he cant go and mesure things or something . If that dont pi$$es one off then i dont know.malsim was that looser yes

the-lada-dude, Dec 18, 6:20pm
Ta everyone.
how exactly do you hold the clutch in to stop it stalling at the lights !
is it likea system that V W ran in their bettels long ago where they had a clutch and fluid coupling !

intrade, Dec 18, 7:08pm
no idea you would have to post what year make exactly it is as early ones where different and not good from what i recall.

kellrae, Dec 19, 1:15am
1 no use by date but it does need checking regularly
2 yes it does have clutch plates these can be adjusted we have over 100k on ours and they are no where near needing replacing.
3 there is no clutch pedal it does take a little while to get used to hill starts in them
Have owned a 147 selespeed since 2001. bought it new, yes we have had some troubles with it HOWEVER I can trace most of the hassles back to the agent. We had trouble with it failing to select gears at times it was returned to said agent who put in a new robot, second time it played up it went into Italian Autos and they found a loose bolt that had been cross threaded s a helicoil later problem solved. Recently it had another battery failure and the robot played up again we tracked the problem eventually to a wire missing from the loom (yep a complete wire missing) this wire was not telling the alternator to send out some juice to charge the system. Once the revs hit 3000 rpm another circut would trip and the alternator would send out charge. But in Auckland rush hour the wife wasnt hitting 3000 for some time so the car was running on battery alone. once the battery went flat the robot didnt know what to do so stopped working. we have had no hassles since this problem was fixed. issues that selespeeds get are oil weeping from seals ( IAC fix these easily) and we have had the robot pump stop working on it this was also fixed by IAC, The clutch solenoid started to play up and we replaced this as well, it is ok in town but is a lot of fun on winding roads. You do get a bit of a fright when the VDC kicks in when you are pushing it through corners hard though

kellrae, Dec 19, 1:19am
It will hold in gear while stationary no problem. Be warned if you sit for too long at lights with the handbrake on but your foot off the brake it will select neutral by itself. if it does it wont go back into first unless your foot is on the brake keep your foot on the brake and it seem to no do this.

flitt, Dec 19, 9:56am
Occasionally, this happens JUST as it is time to go after long wait at lights. Very embarrassing.

the-lada-dude, Dec 19, 6:57pm
ta fellas, seems dreadfully complicated , i guess that's why they developed a clutch pedal.yes !

tigra, Dec 19, 9:23pm
Selespeed. Its an intriguing concept, electrically operated solenoids that hydraulically control gear changes. If there are issues with gear change its worth checkingthe clutch pin first which has a precise setting (28mm I believe) as replacing the Clutch solenoid is expensive both in parts and labour. Had my 156 for 5 years and never experienced the issue of going into neutral at lights. I'm a left foot brake driver so maybe thats why mine doesnt.I'd imaginethat buying new is far better than buying a secondhand import where you have no idea of the maintenance history. Mine has given me a great deal of fun, some issues, but probably I would buy a manual if I was doing this again.

the-lada-dude, Dec 20, 12:43am
mmmmm

tigra, Dec 20, 4:31am
Do that.

flitt, Dec 20, 5:52am
The neutral thing most definately isn't a fault.

kellrae, Dec 20, 8:41pm
as long as your foot is on the brake it will stay in gear if it is held on the hand brake it will select neutral. the reason it rolls back on hills is that it is a manual gearbox with a clutch not an auto that has a tourque converter which stops that happening. I love the selespeed system especially when throwing it around on a windy road one coment is that it can be a bit slow between changes but you can get a chip that will speed it up.

thejazzpianoma, Dec 20, 8:46pm
It speeds the changes up itself over 5000rpm with 60% or more throttle on too.

yudasgoat2000, Dec 21, 9:23am
Would this "selecting of neutral when handbrake used, instead of footbrake, to hold vehicle stationary" still happen if you left it in manual mode!

mm12345, Dec 21, 9:30am
Is that really some plausible explanation of how it's supposed to work!
If so, the person(s) who designed something so daft should be lined up against a wall and shot.

flitt, Dec 21, 11:58am
Why! A traditional manual requires driver to depress clutch + select gear + release handbrake vs Selespeed, which requires a simple pushing forward of gear lever + release handbrake. That's one step less for Selespeed.

Even in a traditional auto I'll shift it into neutral + handbrake at lights, which in my opinion is what should be done.

So, Selespeed has been programmed to do what one should be doing anyway. Essentially, it is my mistake to have left the Selespeed in gear while stationary for so long as I suppose I am overusing the clutch. I don't see why anybody should be shot for adding this clutch preserving device.

yudasgoat2000, Dec 22, 9:40am
Daft. I would have thought putting an auto transmission into manual mode would have meant that it did nothing of its own volition until you returned the selector to auto mode.

Is the manual mode of Selespeed a conventional double H gate, or a 3 position sequential gate (up, down, stay in currently selected gear) like you find in "sportsmode" automatics!

thejazzpianoma, Dec 22, 10:15am
Q System (Alfa's regular auto) has the H gate, selespeed has the sequential selector and the paddles.

I am yet to drive any kind of automated gearbox in manual mode that does not step in if you are doing something that will damage the car.

They all tend to take over anything tedious or obvious that you havn't done (like selecing first if you come to a stop). This is a great thing and does not in any way inhibit or interfere with the driving experience.

If you havn't go and have a drive of a DSG (preferably with the paddles) that is by far and away the best mainstream transmission on the planet. It still does these sorts of things and it only makes it better not worse. The only problem with the DSG is it works too well, which tends to make you lazy and not touch the paddles even when passing.

tigra, Dec 23, 9:19am
Personally I dont find the Selespeed changes that slow, especially when going up hill they are remarkably quick