Light came up on dashboard ((ABS)) ?

24mamba, Jun 5, 5:55am
I have a toyota estima areas and this light has just stared to appear for the first time since owning this vehicle.((ABS)).
Brakes is it!If so, is it dangerous as in shouldn't be driving car!

skittles93, Jun 5, 6:00am
Yeah ABS brake system, does the brake pedal slightly shudder sometimes when you brake at low speeds! Best to get it checked out ASAP! Happened on my old subaru, brakes still worked,but you dont want to take any chances!

24mamba, Jun 5, 6:05am
OMG, yup it was actually doing that a few weeks ago when travelling to Auckland.we would go down-hill and as im pumping the brakes it would actually shudder.I knew it wasn't right and forgot all about getting it into the mehanics, it hasn't actually happenned just driving around locally only that time going down- hill.
Do u kow if its a costly job! Probably huh.o well, got to e done.

Thanks alot

franc123, Jun 5, 6:06am
Oh for crying out loud, all an ABS warning lamp means is that the system has detected a fault and ABS has been disabled, the rest of the braking system works as normal.Get it to a garage or auto electrician and get the fault code or codes read out of it and the appropriate action taken.

24mamba, Jun 5, 6:08am
Sorry actually i misread that.The wheel would sort of shudder, maybe it wa the brake too also shuddering when going downhill.hmm weird, either way will def look into it.

skittles93, Jun 5, 6:09am
Oh yeah thats a definite sign! I guess it depends on the mechanic, but I assume it is, you might have to replace your whole ABS system if it has a bad outcome. The usually scan your ecu to find the fault.

24mamba, Jun 5, 6:09am
Ok, well if i took it to a mechanic would they knw if it was just an electrical fault!

johnf_456, Jun 5, 6:13am
Nod nod

bae13, Jun 5, 7:18am
take it to an auto electrician, auto electricians are trained in electrical work on vehicles, not saying mechanics are dumb but its what auto sparkies do, you will find most auto sparkies wont do mechanical work for the same reasons

24mamba, Jun 8, 12:26am
Just got it done today at auto-electrician-Woah!.$159.7-
0.and it was the wiring.it had worn or something so they had to replace it.Glad it's now fixed.However i'm worried about the shudder that happens when we're going down-hill and going to brake.I need to get it looked at!!

quickbuck, Jun 8, 1:11am
That will be one of the front wheels out of balance. My guess the left one has been rubbed up against a kerb recently.
OR, your Discs are warped. Either way a GOOD tyre shop will help you out there.
Oh, and under $160 to fix an ABS fault, you got off very lightly.

lyonruge, Jun 8, 2:34am
Steering wheel shudder during breaking will not be wheel balance, it will be front brake discs, get the discs surfaced if they are within size spec, replaced if they are not, and replace the pads.

24mamba, May 19, 4:16pm
Oh I guess I thought it would have been cheaper than $160 but that's good then if you're saying that was a good deal :)

Yeah I mentioned to the guys at the auto-elec place about the shuddering.They said it sounds like it's the brake discs too and that they must be worn so they're getting me a price and will get back to me.They can fix that there also so big plus.Really haven't got the time to shop around for other places and it's nearby my work also.