253 V8

Page 1 / 2
brokebloke1, Jun 6, 7:45pm
try for the 308 much better motor

jezz43, Jun 6, 7:46pm
i thought they were pretty much the same! ive been told the heads etc can be bolted from one to the other.

xacoon, Jun 6, 7:52pm
I get the impression it was going to be used for street stock. all the sound with none of the go. go the 308. or a 202. either motor pulls harder

jezz43, Jun 6, 7:54pm
has a 202 currently in it, i just want a bit of go, i think its very sluggish so i want to beef it up a bit. what can be done to a 202!

berg, Jun 6, 8:18pm
253 is a very underestimated engine but is the same physical size as a 308.If you were going to pay for cert etc you might as well go the bigger engine. There is work you can do to the 202, Yella Terra heads, Holley carb, good extractors etc that will improve its performance.

xacoon, Jun 6, 8:23pm
12 port head, even better the yella terra as mentioned, ignition, cam, carb, exhaust, all depends how standard it is. 253s can do up alright, but I think it would ultimately leave you unsatisfied. standard they are poos, simple as that. personal opinion, but I think a worked 202 or 308 are better options, and remember that if you go with the 8 certification comes into play.

jezz43, Jun 6, 8:31pm
van has hada V8 in it before, has certification for a 350. but got reverted back to a 202 for some reason. not sure id need to recert if for a 308!

guider1, Jun 6, 8:33pm
How about instead of all the expense & to still end up with an old slug, why not just fit a Commodore 3.8 & 4stg auto! We did one a year or so back, it goes great. It's more economical than the 3.3 (Holden) that was in it, it's been more reliable, it starts first pop, didnt have to touch the diff gears because of the 4stg auto, it's only half the length of a Holden 6 & they're cheap to buy. Get the old girl into this century instead of the dark ages with that old carburetted engine.
Yes it had to be certed but that's no big deal. And the V6 is a damnsight quieter inside the van as well.

v8_mopar, Jun 6, 8:34pm
then put a 350 back into it

xacoon, Jun 6, 8:35pm
its a v6, thats why not.

guider1, Jun 6, 8:36pm
Yes you would. it's certed for a particular engine (dumb I know but that's how it works) It should've been certed (or on declaration papers) for the 202 as well.

xacoon, Jun 6, 8:36pm
I'm with mopar on this, just drop a 350 in if thats the case

guider1, Jun 6, 8:37pm
Ok, whatever. I've done one & it's a 1000% better than any heavy V8 or old 6cyl that's for real! But hey, what would I know!
I know it would give one with a stocker 350 a good go for less fuel consumption & less hassle. more room in the engine bay, less heat generated, around 1/2 the weight of a V8 & close to the same power as a stock V8.

jezz43, Jun 6, 8:38pm
i dont want a 350 yet.

reason i wanted a 308 or similar engine was i want it to be mechanical, i cant be arsed fartin around with wiring up looms and computers etc. plus a V8 sounds a s#1tload nicer. just out of curiousity, how much work was it to fit in the 3.8! and which model did the engine come from! ecotec! alloytec! etc

xacoon, Jun 6, 8:40pm
if you are going a v and the hassle of a cert vhy go half measures and be missing 2 cylinders! they do make modern v8s too you know. theyre not all old and heavy.

xacoon, Jun 6, 8:42pm
get a carbueretted 350 then, a v6 is going to have all the looms etc that you dont want. anything that hasnt got a carb will really.

guider1, Jun 6, 8:44pm
Ok. so you go Toyota V8. $1600-2000 for a complete deal, then pay an auto sparky probably $1000 to get it wired, still a big fat (bigger than a smallblock) engine. V6 takes 2 wires to get going & only has 1 computer. Nevermind, that's my input from experience of actually doing one.

guider1, Jun 6, 8:45pm
It's got 1 loom xacoon. that's what this message board is good for jezz. people spouting on about things they know nothing about.

xacoon, Jun 6, 8:46pm
you asked why not and I gave my opinion, I prefer my exhaust ports all on the same side on a 6, I like torque. hope that is ok with you!

jezz43, Jun 6, 8:47pm
lol, which model is the engine out of guider1!

v8_mopar, Jun 6, 8:47pm
I want a 2 wire engine

xacoon, Jun 6, 8:48pm
still a loom isnt it! still has a computer!

guider1, Jun 6, 8:55pm
It was the older VN/VP engine jezz. Mainly because they dont have electronic trans which requires a BCM (Body Control Module) as well. It's the most simple repower i've ever done as the Bedford has a ton of room in the engine bay for a V6. The VN/VP engine only has 1 loom to the ECU that controls everything. It's a simple job to mount it; the factory loom has the big bung to go through the firewall so all that's needed is a holesaw. ECU has a 2-screw bracket to mount. We used the original V6 airbox as well.
I've seen them with chevs in them & there's no room to work on them.
Weight it up jezz. You'll get a complete setup for around $900-1200, less weight, similar power to a stock old 350, fuel injected so alot more economical & easier to start, 4stg auto so it's nice to cruise in, more room in the engine bay. you'll figure out why we went with the V6.
Anyway, that's all I have to say on the matter but i'm speaking from experience of actually doing one.

jezz43, Jun 6, 8:57pm
so being fuel injected you would need to go with new pumps, fuel sender! what about speedo cables etc!

guider1, Jun 6, 9:00pm
If I can read correctly xa, you said "all the looms". making out as if it's a wiring nightmare when it's not at all.

Put it this way jezz. it transformed his "old van" into something he can actually use more (& does). He's been right around the south island in it now & said he never would've trusted it with the old Holden 6 in it plus he said it's really economical.
Over & out.