Is $760 ok for a cam and water pump replacement?

chrystalclear1, Jun 4, 4:22am
this included gst aswell.

toyboy3, Jun 4, 4:24am
if its for the lawnmower ! its over priced

ct9a, Jun 4, 4:25am
for the 2stroke thats about right

chrystalclear1, Jun 4, 4:28am
no its for a toyota rav 4

crzyhrse, Jun 4, 4:29am
If it's a blue car, that's an absolute bargain! But if it's a grey one, you're being swindled!

thejazzpianoma, Jun 4, 4:37am
Speaks volumes.

thejazzpianoma, Jun 4, 4:37am
chrystalclear, firstly is it a cam replacement or a cambelt replacement. quite different things.

If you are talking the regular maintenance procedure its probably a cambelt replacement, this is also statistically vastly more likely but its important to be sure.

BTW, your name suits you (sorry couldn't help myself)

rta777, Jun 4, 5:07am
+1

Hope it's not a red one. :)

Seriously - most/all (!) RAVs have "internal" cam-belts (I'm guessing this is what you meant)so that's not too bad a price.Had a old Nissan Pulsar many years ago with an "external" cam-belt - $96.00 to change including all parts and GST.

Nice.

NB: Some vehicles require their cam-belts changed as little as EVERY 60000 kms - check to see if your car does - many people believe all cars are 100000 km intervals - only to have them break doing thousands of dollars worth of damage to their engine.

thunderbolt, Jun 4, 5:10am
Internal cambelt!

And your pulsar cambelt cost $100 all up because it used a neoprene belt with square tooth profile that was developed in the 1040's for a singer sewing machine, and access was a lot easier than a twin can rav 4.

Cambelt technology has moved on somewhat.

ct9a, Jun 4, 6:00am
say 5hours labour at $60=$300x1.15=$345inc allowing $415 for parts so must have been a genuine belt,waterpump,antifreeze,cam,-
crank seals,tensioner,idler

chrystalclear1, Jun 4, 6:28am
sorry im referring to a cam belt

poppajn, Jun 4, 6:30am
Cost me $860 for cambelt and all other belts on Honda Torneo. 3 hours labour, the rest parts. I was ok with that, cheap insurance for peace of mind

zephyrheaven, Jun 4, 6:35am
first question I always ask a potential rav4 cambelt booker inner is "ABS!" because that bloody unit in the way makes everything hard

rta777, Jun 4, 10:44am
True dat! :)

"Internal/external" - sorry, just my way of denoting accessibility.

The $96 was to give relativity - I've seen K series Rovers cost up to $2500 to "change the cam-belt".(Tho' there are also other reasons for such a high cost.)So, in comparison, $760 ain't so bad.

As noted the harder it is to get at the cam-belt means more time = more money.

I would definitely prefer a RAV over that crappy old Pulsar.

Thanks thunderbolt. :)

carmedic, Jun 4, 10:59am
What!
Where!
When!
How!

ct9a, Jun 4, 10:35pm
had to of removed engine and done it on the bench
why! because in the book engine wasnt in vehicle haahaa

danchop, Jun 4, 10:44pm
with toyotas id say youd be silly not to use genuine parts,theyre cheap as if your the repairer buying them for cambelt stuff

ct9a, Jun 4, 10:50pm
i always use genuine parts unless its a heap

doug207, Jun 4, 11:54pm
Easy, buy a cam belt with a rover attached to it. Bloody expensive business mate

poppajn, Jun 5, 6:38am
Andy, they done cam belt, fan and aircon belt, tensioner and bearings. Tourneo not 5 cylinder Thank god) 5 cylinder is a Ragfa

male_timaru, May 11, 1:50pm
blimey yes - i'll have your bill any day - mine was $1312.00 lol

Cambelt water pump, tensioners, new thermostat, cam cover gaskets and seals and couple of helicoils popped in