Sump plug washers on modern cars

bjmh, May 31, 11:58pm
apart from the fact they leak if you reuse them ,is there another reason why modern car manufacturers insist on changing sump plug washers

r15, Jun 1, 12:16am
i dont think i've ever replaced one yet, and so far none have leaked

johnf_456, Jun 1, 12:34am
r15: they do leak I have replaced a few on clients cars.

twink19, Jun 1, 2:19am
we replace them on every service we do

mike77, Jun 1, 3:48am
Ha ha, Sorry Dad, but I also can't be arsed replacing sump plug washers .
No leaks though. now runs away to do another job half arsed!

sr2, Jun 1, 4:26am
There was a time when they were copper, we'd just anneal them (hope I spelt that one properly!) with a gas torch.

bjmh, Jun 1, 4:34am
I think Honda were the first to start this,now if i get a genuine Hyundai oil filter,they always sell a washer,is it because the washers are so thin ! i agree that you can get away with it most times.but every now and then a puddle of texas tea.

lookoutas, Jun 1, 5:44am
It's called "Upselling"

"Would you like fries with that order!"Worth millions.

r15, Jun 1, 5:59am
im not a professional mechanic. or anything else professional automotive, just had quite a bit of experience - just thought i should point this out

jrlaw, Jun 1, 6:01am
Most thing not to do is do it up too tight!

johnf_456, Jun 1, 6:23am
Ding! Same here

mugenb20b, Jun 1, 7:27am
I only replace them if they look thin, or they are badly out of shape, or if they are made of fibre. I never had a car come back with a leaking sump plug yet. Copper and aluminium washers can be used 2 or 3 times over.

ginga4lyfe, Jun 1, 7:44am
Iv only ever replaced a washer once, otherwise i just leave them to soak in hot oil then wipe them off before i use them ( to clean the crap off ), if its scored or rough then ill take a wire wheel or a grinding stone to it, otherwise i pop them back on do it up finger tight and then nip them with a spanner 1/16ths more, On my triumph it doesnt have a washer, though i did kinda replace the whole allen key plug with a brass hex headed one, still never leaks on me

johnf_456, Apr 27, 3:09pm
Yup, same here I always go the extra mile for customers. Even if its doing the odd thing for free.