LPG and petrol

jezz43, May 30, 7:20pm
which gets better mileage! i have a vehicle running both. never had an LPG vehicle before. just wondering what i would be looking at in usage etc. its all currently hooked up to a 202 holden engine in a bedford. can both be run at the same time!

kimbo88, May 30, 8:53pm
No you can't run both at the same time, you use one or the other.Most dual fuel vehicles have an automatic start on petrol when LPG is selected and then change over to LPG automatically.If the kit is old it may not have this function.On LPG you will use a higher number of litres per 100 kms than on petrol, but the LPG is significantly cheaper to buy.Best to apply for a Rockgas card for the LPG as you will pay significantly less than pump price which makes it even cheaper.

intrade, May 30, 9:11pm
older carburretor engines can only run on the dump in type lpg system that is 20 to 25% less efficient so if your engine uses 10 liter petrol then it be usinga minimum of 12.5 liter lpg to cover the distance it uses on the 10 liter petrol.
as above cant be run at same time its petrol or lpg with a switch.
Now new type lpg injection requires injected engine with computers they are almost useing the same as petrol only 2% more gas then petrol has to be injected means a set of new injectors next to the petrol injectors are fitted and the lpg is reading the signal from the petrol injectors and feeds it to the lpg computer to inject the right ammount lpg .
Lpg is a huge ripoff in this country and is olmost not worth it due to the fact as to what you get chared for lpg unlessyour a high volume rockgas card user. only they get cheaper lpg then pump prices.

illusion_, May 30, 9:20pm
ok . we are talking 202 hoilden motor here, so it's gonna be the "old style" (nothing at all wrong with that). Roughly speaking your cost per km should show a 10 - 20% saving (in dollar terms) using your lpg system. It will start perfectly well on lpg, just to clear that bit of confusion up.

Trying to run it on both AT THE SAME TIME would be silly as it would result in a wildly over rich situation. However . if you mean having both available for use if you want to change over "on the go" . definitely. This is what they were supposed to do. saves all the hassle of running out of lpg in the middle of nowhere.

tuttyclan, May 31, 7:30am
My Dad used to have a HQ Holden on LPG.If you wanted to run it on petrol you would be able to flick the switch over from LPG to petrol.
To change from petrol to LPGyou would have to flick the switch to the centre setting.This would allow the carbuerettor to empty and once that happened you could flick it over to LPG.
There was also a primer switch to allow cold starting on LPG.

jezz43, May 31, 7:32am
cool, thanks guys, do LPG systems require WoFs! if so, who does them

tuttyclan, May 31, 7:36am
Gas Certificate yearly and tank test every 10 years.

noswalg, May 31, 7:39am
do you know if you have to be GST registered to get one of those!

mrfxit, May 31, 7:41am
HUH . no

noswalg, May 31, 7:55am
Thats cool, had a look at the website but could only find references to fuelcards under their business section so assumed they only dealt with businesses. I'm looking at buying a ute with an LPG setup and this could be the go.

tuttyclan, May 31, 7:57am
Make sure you are using a Upper Cylinder Lubricant like Moreys as the dry LPG leads topremature wear. My Dad had a 202 Holden that got converted to LPG way back in 1980s at around 75,000 miles.At just 90,000 miles the engine had to be pulled down only to find broken rings,valve guides etc.These were replaced with special gas parts.

jezz43, May 31, 8:00am
how often is the lube used!

xs1100, May 31, 8:58am
you sure you re not thinking cng,moreys operates on the vaccumm and drip feeds it through

tuttyclan, May 31, 9:12am
Definatly LPG
I use a similar system on my old Vauxhalls running on unleaded petrol to avoid valve seat rescession

illusion_, May 31, 9:59am
LPG is not a "dry" fuel. The problems you mention are all very well known and associated with CNG. The only problem I had in over 500k with a falcon (302w) on LPG was the carb gaskets drying out if you didnt use it on petrol at all for many weeks. The way around that of course is obvious. After 500k I decided to pull the heads to have a look-see . it was in terrific condition. Even the cross-hatch marks were still visible in the bores.

unclejake, Apr 24, 6:54am
^ I thought LPG burnt hotter and 'drier' than petrol, so valve seat recession and compression ring (and piston crown) meltdowns would be possible. wouldn't they!