350 Chev versus Nissan Diesel ?

dirk15, May 29, 8:52pm
350 Chev versus Nissan Diesel ! I've got a 1993 SAFARI with the 6 cylinder Diesel and aftermarket Turbo, it's done 440 000 km but still goes real well, without high Oil consumption. A recon engine would cost, all up, new injectors overhaul turbo etc over 10 k. Now I am wondering whether it would be cheaper in a long term to buy a Landcruiser with a near new 350 engine. Fuel consumption might be higher and petrol is more expensive but 350 are quite common , parts cheaper, no Road User Charges etc. And more imortantly, the 60 series Cruisers are simple (not as comfortable as a Safari) reliable, proven vehicles. Any opinions out there! What fuel consumption, roughly, can I excpect from a 350 in a 60 series Cruiser.
Cheers, Dirk.

ralphdog1, May 29, 9:01pm
The 60 series petrol L'Cruiser I had did around 6l/km, towing made stuff all difference, got it down to about 5.2, that was pulling around 2 tonnes. I guess a 350 would be in a similar ballpark.

intrade, May 29, 9:15pm
safari engines rebuild cheap and easy well cheapish as nothing is free Your only worry would be the injector pump that will be wearing on and worn out from the rubbish diesel with low sulfur soonish if its not already poked.
safari engines rebuild parts are available because 1000 of earthmoveing equipments are also fitted with theseengines. should be 4 to 6 k max for a rebuild your original.

msigg, May 29, 9:56pm
If the safari goes really well then what is the problem. Use it till it dies if it ever does then look at your options then, your finances may be better and give you more options.

guider1, Apr 17, 1:56am
AUD$1350 for rebuild kit; (Pistons, Rings, Liners, Main Bearings, Conrod Bearings, Thrust Washers, Full Gasket Set, Front and Rear Seals)
I estimate $2500 on top to get the shortblock stripped, cleaned & back together.
Cylinder head (provided it doesnt need any new valves), probably another $850-1000.
I would say about $6000-6500 to rebuild it. I just had the injectors replaced on our one with reconditioned ones for $65ea & the pump done for $750.
I would'nt fit a smallblock to a Safari, i'd be chucking in a 454 & fitting a towing cam so it's producing low-down torque & signing off at 4500-4800. If fuel is an issue then duel-fuel it.
If we still have our one when the engine dies that's what i'll be looking at doing.