Mechanic to work on a Humber Super Snipe Series 5

cosmossi, May 19, 9:00am
Looking to locate a mechanic in ChCh to work on my 67 series 5 Humber Super Snipe.Needs the big end bearing done and a few smaller things like brakes, carb adjustment etc.Any suggestions please! Cheers

magoo2, May 19, 9:05am
zephyrheaven

321mat, May 20, 12:11am
You're lucky.

Most of the mechanics with any talent have died.
Just go into any modern car dealership and see the monkeys that work there, and you'll come out swearing (loudly) that none of them could push a lawnmower, let alone take apart a DOHC engine.

For example, I recently had to go into a Hyundai (the modern day Lada) dealership, and saw that the head mechanic was literally WATCHING a portable computer screen which was telling him things like (and I'm not kidding here), "Place the 10mm spanner on the bolt highlighted on the screen and turn anti-clockwise to undo.Now, place the same spanner on the next bolt highlighted and turn anti-clockwise to undo.".

No idea.Not a bloody one.
If this is the quality of work which dog-eating companies like Hyundai endorse, then humanity is truly doomed.

jrlaw, May 20, 12:56am
Remember taking a head off one of those monsters, man it was heavy as, retired from all of that now. Hope you find someone to help you.

lookoutas, May 20, 5:25am
Grew up with my old-man owning those. First was a 52 ex MP car.
Is the 67 a twin headlight! Saw a good looking black one pull up outside yesterday.
The young guy at work said "What the hell's that! - Keep going!"

ema1, May 20, 5:28am
Yep been there as well jr and they are 'B' heavy beasts for sure, everything about them was heavy.
Preferred the Wolseley 6/110 MK2 though myself.

lookoutas, May 20, 6:01am
That engine was the same as a 5 ton Commer.

dr.doolittle, May 20, 6:03am
Check-out the rest homes.

bigfatmat1, May 20, 8:54am
There are a lot of really good mechanics out there.There is also a lot of cowboys.

julian.walls, May 20, 11:28pm
Great to see a few are still around :)
Was quite surprised to find according to that large Todd Biography book (I read it a few months back.published 2005) that they were assembled here -I always thought the Humbers were fully imported built up (I think the rare wagons were.)A guy down by street (a retired mechanic in his 70s) has a restored Humber 80 in green (one those Pre 1955 versions based on the Minx - only sold as Humber 80 here and South Africa he reckons his car is British built not assembled!)

Apprarently a few S5 in the UK near their demise were Chrysler V8 powered)and few have ended up in Australia! - quite a common installation is fitting a 318 Chrysler unit or big 6but despite re-powering the cars. modifying suspension and transmission ; theyare near original

julian.walls, May 20, 11:39pm
For those whom are interested in S5 V8 history I refer you too.
I following reference to articles: SUPER SNIPE S5 V8 1965Thoroughbred & Classic Cars (GB) 1987 NOVPage 81 Volume 15 15 Issue 2Market report ;Bonhams Syon Park 1987 2nd auction there no photos of actual cars ; barn clearance but grew into a large saleconcentrating more on sportscar category ;Highlights Humber Super Snipe V8 saloon 1965 condition 2 not sold for 2400pounds ; part of a auction reportby David Johnson

2/
SUPER SNIPE SERIES VV8 Old Motor (GB) 1981 DECPages 25-27 Vol 3 Issue 12a History feature "V8 into 4 didn t go looking at History behind V8 Super Snipes" the Sceptre and other designs ; inc photo 1 of 12 the true figure is uncertain this is Reg EH P622C ; 6 proto were made 5.1 318V8 chry eng with manual trans 125mph plusso this engine replaced 273 with 5 manual; another 5 of these remaining 5 was an Imperial which had Armstrong Selectroride on rear and LHD; after 1965 a pilot program it is thought a further 6 made this figure is uncertain because of no factory records ; installation was a problem hp only 150bhp at 4400rpm by Mike Taylor

3/
SUPER SNIPE SERIES V V8 1967 Practical Classics (GB) 1998 SEPPage 24 Issue 10 CKD Australia Colour photocar - car owned in Michael BanningMuseuem in Western Australia part of Brief feature of the museum ; the car in question was CKD built in Australia by Chrysler whom fitted a V8 themselves by Craig Cheetham

enjoy

strobo, May 21, 5:03am
Over exaggerated ! Some boltthreads arescrewed in with a (left handed)thread ! Though dont be confused by this as they canstill be turned with a right hand lol, I doubt if you knew what the "head mechanic" was lookingat or even thinking,

jrlaw, Mar 15, 10:06am
Saw one at Bunnings today in Palmerston North, single headlight model, much loved by the look of it.