Weird electrical problem

karlandkell, May 15, 8:41am
I have a 1996 ford taurus that has been blowing tail light fuses when it rains.
When the tail light fuse blew, the headlights wouldn't turn off until i replaced the tail light fuse. I had to turn the headlights off by pulling the headlight fuse out or replacing the tail light fuse.

NOW, if i replace ONLY the headlight fuse, the tail lights come on and stay on, no matter what position the light switch is in, the headlights go on and off with the switch
Just the tail light fuse in and the headlights stay on, the park lights follow the switch
Both fuses in and the headlights follow the switch but the park lights come on and stay on,
These cars have autolamps as well, and pulling the fuse of that did nothing,
I had found and corrected a dodgy trailer plug connection and no longer seem to be blowing fuses but still stuck with lights wont turn off

Anyone got any ideas!

smilie13, May 15, 9:25am
try interconnecting the headlight wires into an 'open' circuit on the fuse box. As a precaution just replace fuses out with new ones in thefuse box. see how it goes

smilie13, May 15, 9:31am
cont.depends on your fuse box, perhaps the headlights and tail lights fuses and wiring for each sit side by side in the fuse box - getting some over lap or cross over here. possible a fault with fuse box itself or wires touching. kind of know what I mean. hope this helps.

looking at re-wiring my model T ford soon. some fun! hubby don't like wire but I do!

smilie13, May 15, 9:53am
perhaps fault lies in the security system - maybe replace security system or look into it

pup2, May 15, 10:07am
If nothing on the back of the fuse box, check the "check relay". Can't remember where they are on the taurus. Sure google can locate it

karlandkell, May 15, 9:06pm
I think the fault maybe in the light switch, which has an autolight function,I pulled the switch out to find that it is computerised, HOW CAN I TEST SWITCH

mrsoundman1, May 16, 8:03am
The only problem you need to fix is why the tail light fuse blows. If you cure this you wont have anything else to worry about. Very unlikely any water is causing short unless ecu getting water logged. Best option is to check wiring to trailer plug connection if it has one this is most common fault with tail light fuse blowing next most common cause is accessory with dash light bulb eg after market rev counter oil guage etc wire shorting to ground or bulb holder faulty . If the fuse blows straight away fault is easy to track by disconnecting loom to rear lights to see what end of car problem is.hope this helps . otherwise best cure is to take vehicle to AA authorised auto electrician for repair

bae13, Feb 25, 6:03pm
hey mrsoundman1 why are you specifying an aa authorised auto electrician! what makes them better than a regular auto electrician!