4x4 mud grip tyres

Page 1 / 2
markglen, May 4, 3:36am
looking for 16 inch tyres for a hilux ,run 2 sets of rims one summer and one for the winter on farm and the winter set wont cut the mustard for the winteras getting very wet , any ideas re best value for $$$$ spent [ lokking at new tyres}cheers

kiwis0, May 4, 3:45am
Go to Goodyear

2spicey, May 4, 4:03am
Hankook Dynapro MT RT03 .brilliant tyre offroad. Quiet onroad with good grip. I used them in deep mud, snow and clay surfaces and have been very impressed. Check them out.

xacoon, May 4, 4:06am
got tractor grips on the landy. gunna need them if this precipitation keeps up.

steve312, May 4, 4:21am
Kumho KL71 tyres are the best off road tyres I have ever had on my Hilux.Great off road and surprisingly quiet, good road holding and long wearing on-road.Will definitely putting another set on my vehicle when these ones wear out.

offrd1, May 4, 5:07am
I like Maxxis tyres.Bighorn and they wear well,not bad off road,also very well priced.If you want really good just off road tyres go for the Simexs,BUTnot much use on the road

xacoon, May 4, 5:27am
really! I found the maxxis good offroad or on my bmx, but they chewed through like they were made of butter on road. big question is, is the hilux going to be seeing road use this winter, as all predictions are on a wet one.

offrd1, May 4, 5:40am
NO found the Maxxis last very well,I've had them on all my 4x4's for many years now,from Big Landcruisers to the Wrangler i have now.I'm not saying they are the best or anything as i don't know.I do use the Simex's if i'm doing any real hard stuff but in saying that i find myself not changing tyres that much as i find the Maxxis seem to work very well .much better than the Good Year i do know that

xacoon, May 4, 5:43am
not going to argue with the goodyear thing, I just found for a comparative priced tyre to the maxxis the hankook performes similarly and lasted shitloads longer on road. old penny pinching goat I used to work with reckoned the same thing. different batches perhaps!

zooki007, May 4, 5:56am
+1
I've fitted heaps of these to Hilux's that are actually used, and the cockies rate them very highly. Lasting heaps longer than others they've tried.
I also have put them on my own 4X4's. They are a great tyre. Best value for money.

pico42, May 4, 6:33am
Best value for money spent! Fit chains all round.

r15, May 4, 6:36am
+1 Maxxis Bighorns. or any other maxxis product for other uses for that matter

offrd1, May 4, 6:37am
LOL .Probably depends which tyres you were using. The Big Horns are a radial and the Buck shot is a Cross plyi think.I can't argue about the Hankook as i wouldn't have a clue.lol.i have tried Good Year [ hopeless off road ] horses for courses i guess

mrcat1, May 4, 6:39am
The best you can get are Coopers, either in the ST-C like I run which are the chip and cut resistant variant, or the STT, which are very aggressive mud tyres. I have tried other tyre's that people reckon are the best but with having put 4 sets of tyres on my Nissan Venturer and it had only done 107,000Km's, they wouldn't know sh!t from mud and the Coopers are also very well wearing tyres as they are made for the US market that require a long running tyre. I have done 50,000km's on them now and they are only half worn, so expect at least 80,000Km's from them, and thats saying something as every other tyre's wore out on average of 26,000km's.

zephyrheaven, May 4, 6:56am
The Maxxis Bighorn has changed compound & pattern for the better, still - the Hankook RT03 is bloody hard to look past - awesome tyres
Wouldnt fit a set of KL71's to anything again after way too many heel toe wear problems (even with rotations etc)
I run RT03's on a jacked up Hilux (35's) and 305/70/16 Bighorns on my 80 series, the Maxxis are slightly noisier is my only grumble - both are fabulous offroad & on

tnt423, May 4, 7:16am
How much do you want to spend! Everyone is going to give you a different opinion, My pick would be the Kl71 then the Bighorn.

hstile_cf, May 4, 7:17am
I would go for Silverstone mt 117's best value for money in a good mud tyre. I have heard and seen only good things with these tyres.

offrd1, May 4, 8:16am
Sounds Good,never tried these but are quite keen to try them,i really do a shit lot of 4x4ing mostly quite hard muddy going[ on the West Coast ] What are they like for price

k837, May 4, 9:27am
coopers are very pricey but very good much like the bf goodrich range,value for money they cant be beaten as they will piss on anything for mileage and performance.nothing wrong with the maxxis range they are a good tyre as are the hankkok rt03.i wouldnt touch anything in the goodyear range though as they have proved to me time and again that they just dnt offer anything for the price you pay for them

offrd1, May 4, 9:57am
I have heard good things about them.i don't like BF Goodrich at all,aways had problems with them and found the Maxxis better in the mud.Coopers do sound bloody good,may go that waynext time and not worry about the Simexs for second tyres as don't do so much of the really hard core thesedays

mrcat1, May 4, 9:59am
It depends where you buy them, a local dealer wants $500 each, where as another one in another town i got them for $330 each.
The venturer's come out on 265/70/16 and they have 50mm of bulge either side of the rim at the specified pressure, i have gone to 245/75/16LT which is exactly the same diameter as the 265's BUT i got them in the light truck variant which are 10 ply, i have some very big tandam axle trailers and found with the 265's with bulge the ute wandered all over the road.

mrcat1, May 4, 10:08am
Both Coopers and BF Goodrich are made in the states, the yanks demand a high mileage tyre, they seem to be great running tyres, i have found that i have gone to places with the ST-C's in 4x2 that i had to go in 4x4 before with other tyres, in Australia they warranty the Coopers for either 80,000kms or 100,000km's, i can't remember which. Even for the price they are cheap as if i had to put 3 sets on at say $250 a tyre compared to the same mileage for $330 they are as cheap as chips.

offrd1, May 4, 10:37am
Thanks mrcat1.learn something on here every day.lol.will check prices in Nelson.still got a few miles to go before changing but i Will definitely check out

unideck, May 4, 11:37am
Coopers are warranted to 80,000. Also now made under license in Japan & China but a very hard wearing tyre for sure with heaps of grip. Nobody mentioned "Micky Thompson" tyres yet, I drove the new Hilux last week with a set on, not bad at all, note, don't drive on your lawn with them, they tear it apart in one pass. No grass/mud is safe with these monsters fitted :)

huffpuff01, May 4, 12:47pm