You can now import new LHD into NZ

Page 1 / 2
mapman, Apr 30, 9:18pm
This might of already been mentioned here but I??

mapman, May 1, 10:29am
Only on new. I know, but at least it is a step in the right direction.

easygoer, May 1, 11:19am
Special limited production new vehicles are able to be imported and registered LHD, A local panel beater had a 2011 Ford GT500 imported by Fairview Motors prior to Christmas, because it is a special interest vehicle it doesn't require conversion

fordcrzy, May 1, 11:23am
i saw a similar mustang being taken in for compliancing still in lhd, i think it was the last of the non coyote gt500's model

easygoer, May 1, 12:29pm
The one in Hamilton is the only one of the model in NZ, they produce 1500 of them each year, the top of the motor has been signed by the 2 mechanics who assembled it, http://www.autoblog.com/2010/02/08/2011-ford-shelby-gt500-finally-gets-aluminum-engine-loses-120-p/ the car in Hamilton is a convertible the same as the one near the bottom of the page in the link but a darker blue

mapman, May 1, 10:37pm
Under the new revised transport laws, as long as you don??

vjregal770, May 2, 12:14am
Is that a new law where you can import *any* LHD car so long as you keep it for 4 years!

Or is it just the still the special interest stuff!

tgray, May 2, 12:26am
There are some seriously incorrect info on this thread already!
You CANNOT import any LHD vehicle under the new rules. Must meet 3 of 4 criteria. Be not available in RHD, be a high performance coupe, be manufactured in annual volumes of under 20,000 p/year, be a classic or historical vehicle as defined by a major motoring publication. The average camaro/corvette/mustang does not qualify under the new rules as the base models not classic vehicles and very few years they made under 20,000. the ZR1's, boss mustangs etc are ok.
Also, it has nothing to do with with if the car is new or not.

tgray, May 2, 12:28am
I can't understand why 4 or the 5 dodge challengers have been bought by NZders for $140,000 each, when they could have bought the same car on ebay for half this amount by importing it themselves. And yes, I am talking about the 390 6200cc limited edition one, not the standard 5700cc model.

tgray, May 2, 12:33am
If you want a C5 corvette for instance, the only one that qualifies are the 1997 and1998 models, and this is for difference reasons.
1997 they made 9700, so all 1997's ok and some 1998's if it was made in 1997 (see inside of drivers door for production date).
1998 ones are also ok, because the new rules treat the convertibles and hardtops seperately, so they just come under the 20,000 threshold.
Some 1999's are ok, if they were built in 1998.
Again, you have to be very careful and do your homework.

mapman, May 2, 1:27am
tgray, thanks for pointing this out, the Herald did not state the conditions you just mentioned. I looked in the NZ Transport site & Googled it with no further info available. Still a step in the right direction. Where is a good place to read up fully on these new laws!

kcf, May 2, 2:41am
the law is 13 months old now.

Go to an entry certifier, get the fact sheet from them, and ask them any questions that you have.As compared to asking people on the internet, which will routinely get you partially corret answers

terckon, May 2, 6:38am
Try this link, page 56. http://www.nzta.govt.nz/resources/virm-entry-cert/docs/virm-entry-certification-vol-2-v3a3.pdf And for more info, page 33 http://www.nzta.govt.nz/resources/virm-entry-cert/docs/technical-bulletins-v3a3.pdf
Happy reading and do your homework before importing a LHD vehicle.

franc123, May 2, 7:13am
I've said before and will say again, WHAT A LOT OF BUREAUCRATIC CRAP for no good reason either.There is absolutely no reason for letting a 1997 model whatever in because X amount were sold when a facelifted 1999 model that wasn't quite as popular is banned completely because the US public didn't buy as many of them!The 1999 model might have even had an extra airbag or two thrown in or a brake upgrade or slightly better emissions compliance or something else that made it better!

tgray, May 2, 7:51am
Perhaps it's a typo error, but the 1999 model is banned because the US public DID buy them. It's the low production models that you can bring in.

franc123, May 2, 9:46am
Yeah sorry other way around.Still doesn't make any more sense though!

budgel, May 3, 5:55am
It makes sense to me, it is a law aimed at allowing low production run enthusiast cars, not LHD foreign cars in general.

lookoutas, May 3, 6:34am
So now you've read the following posts - the bad news is: the Econoline Van doesn't apply. I know trucks don't, due to being a commercial vehicle. A van would probably be rated similar.

lordv81, May 3, 7:11am
Whats the go on demerit points for no rego!is it on vehicles owned or vehicles caught while driving or does it include parked vehicles!class A or B exempt from the demerits!nothing on the transit web site about it that I can see,even on the up dates etc.

mapman, May 3, 9:39am
That was in the Herald too, last Sunday??

marcos1, May 3, 9:47am
I was under the impression that this was limited to 500.! special interest vehicles per year only, for all of NZ.
And pre-approval to import was a requisite.!

lordv81, May 3, 9:55am
Cheers for that mapman,I hadnt heard of that new demerit system.

tgray, May 3, 7:52pm
Correct. You have to supply the VIN number with your application, so in most circumtances you would have already bought the car before applying. That's particularly scary, since there are so many traps for the unwary. Regarding the 20,000 p/year, remember it's the build year NOT the year of registration. Imagine people who just paid $30,000 US for their dream car, and then get rejected over such a technicality! You may have bought in good faith and had every intention of owning for the minimum 4 years, but that won't help you.

kcf, May 3, 8:31pm
Do *not* import.You will have to convert it.You can apply for cars only, not vans, 4wds, trucks.Refer "MA" category vehicles only, which means cars only.

http://www.nzta.govt.nz/vehicle/classes-standards/class.html

lookoutas, Jan 11, 6:10am
kcf wrote:
Do *not* import.You will have to convert it.You can apply for cars only, not vans, 4wds, trucks.Refer "MA" category vehicles only, which means cars only.

That's the way I see it too.