OIL - Help needed, urgently

iceboy26, May 2, 9:54am
Hey guys,

I am going to sound like a total noob - but my 1996 Subaru Impreza CS Extra needs an oil top up - however, my owners manual is entirely composed in Japanese, and I'm not that fluent in it =P

ANYWAY - what I was wondering is if anyone knows what sort of oil to use in her! She is a 1600, non-turbo, 1996 Subaru Impreza CS Extra - any help would be greatly appreciated.

crzyhrse, May 2, 9:57am
Sounds overdue for an oil and filter change.

iceboy26, May 2, 9:59am
Probably - and will sort that out when I get home - but at the moment just need to get her home - and safely!

suplyuparts, May 2, 10:01am
jusy get some 20/40w oil.any oil better then none.

iceboy26, May 2, 10:03am
Cheers mate - yeah - I figured that'd be the case but wasn't sure - she's not empty, just needs a lil top up before doing 900 odd km in a day.

r.g.nixon, May 2, 10:08am
20/40, 20/50, 10/40, even 30/40

crzyhrse, May 2, 10:09am
Presumably you checked it before you left home, so such a degree of loss needs to be investigated instead of just topping it up, as travelling at open road speeds the first actual warning you will get of low oil pressure is really going to be an indicator that it's now knackered.

jono2912, May 2, 10:10am
Crankcase
MOBIL SUPER 2000 X2 10W-40
or MOBIL FORMULA S2 10W-40
Service Refill Capacity: 4.0* Litres

Manual Transmission
MOBIL DELVAC SYNTHETIC GEAR OIL 75W-90
Service Refill Capacity: 2.6 Litres

Automatic Transmission
MOBIL MULTIPURPOSE ATF
or MOBIL ATF 220
Service Refill Capacity: 7.9 Litres

Differential
MOBIL DELVAC SYNTHETIC GEAR OIL 75W-90
or MOBILUBE HD PLUS 80W-90
Service Refill Capacity: 1.2 Litres

Power Steering
MOBIL MULTIPURPOSE ATF
or MOBIL ATF 220

mrcat1, May 3, 10:22am
It is actually quite common to have to top up oil after a long trip if the vehicle has just been running around town, all engines use oil, and with around town use with stop start type usage you get condensation etc in the oil, when you then go on a long trip the whole engine heats up and burns of the condensation out of the oil and then when you check it, it appears the engine has used alot of oil in a short time. it just needs to be topped up and as you said most likely also needs an oil change and filter.

skin1235, Jan 9, 2:16am
pop into the warehouse, grab an $18 4 litre pack of 20/40, and top it up, complete your journey, when you get home send it in for a normal oil and filter service, and let someone else worry about it, running a different grade will not harm it especially as the existing is old oil, any new oil will be at a better 'grade' anyway ( and you'll probably find it comes back with 20/40 in it anyway)