Toyota Prado brakes came on when driving?

joyleen9, Apr 20, 1:07am
has anyone experienced this happening when the computer system takes over the control of the vehicle. This happened to me, very frightening, took prado to opposite side of road unexpectedly.

richardmayes, Apr 20, 1:11am
Jesus!

Local Toyota agent, now please.

joyleen9, Apr 20, 1:16am
Yes, they have retracted their bill to us for doing repairs, but haven't stated that their was a problem with braking. Have taken the matter to Fair Go, but they will only do a story if someone else has had the same problem. Seems to be after repairs had been done that the problem happened.

lk104, Apr 20, 1:17am
Unintended acceleration as per all the hype in USA was fully investigated by NASA and the Transport Authority over there and there was no fault in the vehicles. Im most cases it was caused by people putting in too many floor mats (I think one car had 14 sets of mats in it!) and they would get stuck under the pedals, but yes go and see your Toyota Dealer so they can check it out.

bigmacnfries, Apr 20, 2:32am
And the other common cause of this - driver error, hitting the accelerator instead of the brake.

joyleen9, Apr 20, 2:57am
it has nothing to do with mat obstruction, it has happened 4 times and only when turning corners, & I had a passenger who noticed it. have this vehicle from new & never experienced this problem before. Is definitley a computer problem as Toyota have had to recalabrate vehicle and reversed all costs. We never asked them to recalabrate it either after they repaired another part that needed replacing.

bigmacnfries, Apr 20, 3:52am
Doubt very much its a computer problem, the computer that manages the vehicle??

trouser, Apr 20, 4:53am
Could well be a computer problem. The esp part of the computer might be flaking out and braking one side of the car. I wouldn't rule it out at all.

2lo4ho, Apr 20, 6:15am
could be something as simple as a sticky caliper. my car does it quite regularly, its a pain in the ass but its at the rear so doesnt affect the steering when it happens. meh.

r15, Apr 20, 7:28am
i would be highly surprised if this was a fault with prados in general, more likely one of the above mentioned issues

joyleen9, May 2, 4:49am
It appears to be VSC (computer) was getting wrong information from sensor on steering, which had not been zero calabrated after work had been done on front of car. This caused the computer to scramble itself with wrong information thus causing the car to do a full ABS lockup. But Toyota NZ will not admit to this, we are trying to find other people that have had similar problems.

trouser, May 2, 6:09am
Who would have thought.

zooki007, May 2, 8:02am
So not the vehicles fault, but rather the person who worked on it last then! What was vehicle in for in the first instance, and what was done to it! Please expand further joyleen9 .

for_an_angel, Jan 4, 6:11pm
I have fixed 3 or 4 VSC braking issues. Most come back to zero point cal after repairs or wheel alignment. One was after a wheel upgrade with two different sized tyres (estima). Another was driver error (braking while taking a hard corner)(Landcruiser).