How to clean inside of engine?

andrea13, Apr 29, 5:49am
particularly under the rocker cover, is covered in black flaky carbon. obviously the sump is coming off so I can clean the oil pickup screen. I gave it an oil change and the old oil turned black straight away so I took off the rocker cover and the inside of the head was covered in 3-5 mm of carbon crap. cleaning the rocker cover was easy but whats the best way to clean the head and cams and stuff without a full stripdown

bubbles52, Apr 29, 5:52am
kerosene and a brush works well

morrisman1, Apr 29, 5:52am
be careful, theres probably carbon keeping the oil from leaking everywhere. How many KM has this done! Is it a diesel or petrol!

One thing you can try is diesel oils in a petrol, they have better cleaning properites and provided you get the right grade will still lubricate just as well.

andrea13, Apr 29, 6:02am
has done 135k, so not old, to be honest my biggest worry is oil flow to the cams, but there is oil floating around in the head so it is probably ok, the cam lobes look and sound fine, no blueing or severe wear. is a SR18de with a roller rocker head, so at least I havent got the silly overhead oil pipes to worry about

cheviot, Apr 29, 6:38am
Buy some flushing oil before changing the oil again then use a diesel oil for about 500ks. Don't leave the diesel oil in there any longer as the sludge in it will block oil galleries. If it's still dirty use diesel oil again.

chris_051, Apr 29, 7:59am
As mentioned diesel oil in a petrol but make sure it is rated for spark ignition engines, I've used Shell Rimula a few times but it is quite pricey. You could dilute the oil with diesel about 20% and let it idle for half hour, or fill the thing up with ATF and let it idle also, you'll want to replace the filters afterwards. I've done the ATF and diesel dilution before, does the job, buy some cheap oil to flush it out a couple of times afterwards aswell.

johnf_456, Apr 29, 9:15am
Just get some cheap oil and flush it often, got some oil the other day on special for 12 bucks for 4 litres cheap I know but perfect for flushes!

jmma, Apr 29, 9:54am
Fill up with Caltex and the little men with there brooms will get in there and do it for you (o:

ceedoubleyou, Apr 29, 10:03pm
I always think that advert where the mechanic advises the customer that he thinks he needs new spark plugs after going in from the bottom of the engine, is hilarious.

andrea13, Apr 30, 6:33am
is a roller rocker head, so has no cam squirters. hopefuly not so bad

sgrants, Apr 30, 10:31am
Hmm the last sr18 I "cured" (cut end of oil squirter pipes, poked out with welding rod and cleaned in the parts washer and brazed up pipes) had roller rockers!

dent, Apr 30, 10:39am
You can safely drill them out to 1mm as well.

sgrants, Apr 30, 10:40am
Yeah I think I did that too!

johnf_456, Apr 30, 11:33am
Provided you do the regulary oil changes they will be fine

v8cougar, Dec 29, 5:18pm
replace the oil with desiel, dont drive it, dont rev it, just let it idle for 5 mins, it works amazing, then replace the deisel with oil and off you go