Advice on Astras needed

1astraman, Apr 28, 1:47am
I have a 2002 Holden Astra and apart from the aircon which has now been repaired I have never had a problem. Now done 137,000km! BUY ONE but its essential its got a history because not all Astras are gems.

thunderbolt, Apr 28, 5:59am
Wife has a 2000 Astra City, which I dislike, but has proven to be a bloody reliable little wagon.
Air con Clutch died (which is common), and a brake light switch (which wont let you move from park when faulty) but no other issues.
Stay on top of servicing and cambelt and you should be ok.
The jap import opel versions are a different story, many more reliabilty issues I have been told.

intrade, Apr 28, 6:27am
Oops, there was a slip up!

Member is disabled.

intrade, Apr 28, 6:30am
well the opel astra is better then the holdon astra, and its better then a mitsubishi but thats about it. i remembercambelts needed to be changed befor due date and loads of problems similar to mitsubishi as to how crap they are. thats for early models

franc123, Apr 28, 6:30am
Get a full PP inspection, paying special attention to body electrics, look at NZ new Holden versions preferably, take some brave pills, keep all fingers and toes crossed at all times, get the timing belt checked regularly and replaced if due (punishment is severe if you don't), get on to a parts source in the UK (in most cases you'll be ripped if you source locally for these), and then go out and enjoy the driving experience, they are a nice drive when its all working as intended.

treachug, Apr 28, 9:07am
Really! Opel Astras & Holden Astras are built on the same assembly lines around the world.

treachug, Apr 28, 9:17am
As mentioned above sure they have their issues but as with many - or is that most - car makes they all do! Opels are good, solid, good handling, reliable cars. Going to get shot down here but the knockers on here dont like them, would rather stick to the common jappa etc. Keep the servicing etc up & yes, esp the cambelt at 60km intervals, you wont have many issues. The jap import models are higher spec than nz counterparts. Other things to look for are front disc rotors/brake pads, Many being distmantled nowadays so many parts can be sourced new or used. As for local parts depends who you try etc - Sourcing from Uk is cheap but actually the Holden parts prices arent too bad now. As long as you get a knowledgable Holden parts person, there are many supply alternatives they can get for you via Holden.

1astraman, Apr 29, 7:44am
Treachug you are on the mark. As a Astra owner with firm belief in genuine GM servicing and parts, Holden is excellent and their parts are not end of this world if you can handle it.

Cambelts and tensioner is meant to be replaced every 4 years or 60,000km with idlers every second year. Waterpump also optional second for peace of mind.

I got a quote today from Nelson Bays Holden for my 2002 Astra which is due for all this in a couple of months:

Camblet - $85.80
Waterpump - $149.60
Tensioner/idlers - $217.80
Labour 3 hours - $240.00

Total = $693.20 pre gst

mike77, Apr 29, 9:42am
We were looking for an astra, but kept findng dog's all over the place (Must be a south Auckland thing) - and I've kinda given up on the idea. Especially noisey electric power steering pumps and trans with fault lights.
Sis in law has a NZ new one, manual (Basic as) and that's a great car. So I would chk for a service history, and check it properly or get someone to do it.

And yep - Cambelts every 60,000 kms on the dot no matter what.

paul271, Apr 30, 8:37am
OK lets see.Coils, throttle bodies, timing belts, EGR valves, trans faults and thats off the top of my head. They are unreliable pigs that cost a fortune to own. Dont buy one.

Oh forgot fragile engine mounts that break and sumps that crack as well for no reason

shane.64, Apr 30, 8:58am
This is about Astra's not mitsubishi .I had 96 astra for 4 years never had a problem with it .Cheap on gas 1600 good for going to work in

shane.64, Apr 30, 9:02am
Mine was a import from Germany Astra 1600 GL

sgrants, Apr 30, 9:21am
The ones I've worked on have been nightmares and parts are hellishly expensive!

outofhistree, Aug 9, 4:46am
I know commodore like the back of my hand but not a jot about Astras.Missus wants to buy one.Do they commonly have any faults or anything to look out for when buying one!

hi-ling, Aug 9, 6:25am
Most models run cambelts that require changing every 60k instead of the normal 100k, These MUST be changed when due. Several models run camchains which generally give no problems, All parts are readily availible.

thejazzpianoma, Sep 25, 12:16pm
As you may have guessed from the links, maintenance wise they tend to be just as expensive as an Alfa, which begs the question why not just buy an Alfa and then you will at least get a lot of driving fun and a lot of car for the money.