Best headgasket leak repair

bubbles52, Apr 26, 9:53am
heard of irontite, seal up and many others, which one is the best for a minor head gasket leak, dont want to replace the head gasket as the cars only a farm hack

vtecnet, Apr 26, 9:54am
CRC Block weld. think that can do it also

quickstitch, Apr 26, 10:07am
x1
we have used irontite on a race motor to get us thru. 12.5 :1 compression ratio and it still held in, much to my surprise.

sleuth, Apr 26, 10:24am
I used irontite for about 9 months in a rover 216 until I sold the car (yes I told the new owner). Motor was spitting water and running on 3 cyls. Drained the antifreeze and followed the instructions and it was perfect as - sealed up no problem. The only concern was couldn't use antifreeze with irontite (sends it like gooey jelly) but in Auckland thats not a problem. I also left the irontite in the system. After draining while hot a couple of times and leaving hoses off to let the waterways air dry I put the irontite back in and had no problems. Air dryingputs a coating of the silicate on the waterway channels and protects from corrosion (was a bit worried about the alloy block)

franc123, Apr 26, 10:35am
x1
The cooling system has to be pretty clean to have success with Irontite, on a system that isn't, Sealwell cubes are a better option.

for_an_angel, Apr 26, 10:53am
I have used irontite with good results but huge amounts of time and cost with flush and 4 drain and refils to get the system clean enough. I second the suggestion of sealwell have used it for 11 years and always had a good ending to the story.

elvis58, Apr 26, 10:57am
+1 even on diesel engines.

unclejake, Apr 26, 11:17am
Grown ups are talking ;-)

tgray, Apr 27, 12:11am
is sealwell compatible with coolant!
are there any products you can simply add to the cooling system without draining it first!

for_an_angel, Apr 27, 12:18am
x1
Yea sealwell . break up cube add to cooling system and drive away 5min fix

gsimpson, Apr 27, 12:25am
Antifreeze or at least a corrosion inhibitor is still needed in Auckland.

johnf_456, Apr 27, 6:51am
+1

irontite has done me well for my friends derby car he picked up for 100 bucks

gsimpson, Apr 29, 9:29am
What I meant was surely some form of corrosion protection is required even if there is no risk of freezing.
We had our first frost of the season this morning down here. (North Otago)

for_an_angel, Dec 25, 2:19pm
x1
I have never dropped the coolant out of the system when using sealwell. and if anything I have topped up the system afterwards with coolant.