Remote oil cooler/filter hoses

hollyshaw, Apr 26, 9:54am
Hello,
Just wondering what is best to use if i want to have a remote oil filter setup.
do i need the have the braided hoses or can i used some good high pressure oil rubber hoses! eg rubber hose Listing #: 370829808or braided Listing #: 370387372

Thanks

cuda.340, Apr 26, 10:58am
oil pressure is hard on fittings so use the best quality you can afford, i use the braid lines & the aeroquip/KB/Frigola type fittings. done right you'll have zero problems.

smac, Apr 26, 8:46pm
No offence intended to cuda but I'd disagree on both points. Engine oil pressure is nothing compared to what decent pressure hose is designed to withstand. I've yet to see any benefit of braided that justifies the extra cost, and if you get any mess in your engine bay (ie anything other than a show car) they start to look manky after a while.
I'd really suggest going and finding an oldschool hydraulic shop and have a talk rather than buying a kit off TM. That way you get exactly what you're after for your situation, and likely at a fraction of the cost.
If you want braid, then cool, they do look nice if looked after. But don't kid yourself it's due to any functional reason.

mrcat1, Apr 27, 4:27am
As others have said, just get a hose shop to make some up, unless you have a engine that has a oil pump the can go over 6000psi, they will work fine.

cuda.340, Apr 27, 5:06am
the benefit of braid is it don't melt if it touches something hot. in an old school rod i once owned i had the oil filter as a remote for easier access & less chance of an oil spill at service time. unfortunately one of my Hydrolink hoses flapped a bit at speed & before i knew it i had a burn mark from the headers. the price to have them remake the rubber line was MORE
than the price of buying braided line & reusable end fittings. heat was never an issue after that. braided line also has the added bonus it doesn't kink on the corners when it's hot like the reinforced rubber can do and to top it off, if you need to extend or shorten the hose, the braided line fittings are reusable & can be done in your garage with a vice & a spanner. much cheaper than going to Hydrolink. but if black rubber is your thing by all means,,, i have seen the hydrolink style fittings with the Bandit clamp come off hydraulic lines on a digger, but then that pressure is a lot higher than an automotive oil pump.

joanie32, Apr 27, 5:15am
Sorry, side with smacon this. If youve got oil linesflapping around, taking sharp bendsor close to manifolds, you need to take a good look at you design and routing.

falcon15, Apr 27, 5:16am
On my offroader i have a remote oil fiter/ cooler. I am running just the normal high pressure black rubber oil hoses with push lock fittings. One of the hoses sits about 10mm away from the headers and i have never had any problems with leaks or the hoses melting in the couple of years its been running.

socram, Apr 27, 6:08am
Agree with above.Never had a problem with good quality hoses and in most cars, even cold, they wouldn't even need to cope with 100psi.In fact, many cars had a bypass valve that kicked in if the oil pressure was too high.

Although the push on type can be a sod to remove, some are supposedly quite secure without a clamp, a jubilee clip is a sensible belt and braces approach.

Routing and securing all hoses and wiring really is 101 stuff - usually learned after a disaster I must admit!

hollyshaw, Apr 27, 7:07am
cool thanks foryour replys. I'm not after the flash look (shiney, if not needed).
thanks

crzyhrse, Apr 27, 7:11am
The actual core of braided lines is PTFE which can, and does, melt. A bit over 300ºC IIRC.

bill-robinson, Apr 27, 8:51pm
by the time you see that temperature the oil will be well gone( along with the rest of the engine)

ct9a, Apr 27, 9:17pm
the crimping on alot of these aftermarket kits is where they fail

crzyhrse, Dec 20, 5:00pm
The heat doesn't have to come from the oil.