Faulty battery or something wrong with car?

Page 2 / 2
neville48, Apr 25, 7:10am
yur starter motors not stuffed is it,having an intermittent fault here will give all these starting problems too.

crzyhrse, Apr 25, 7:30am
Let us clarify.

Has the auto electrician actually SEEN the car!

crzyhrse, Apr 25, 7:31am
Your mate has been what! I don't know what you're saying here.

crzyhrse, Apr 25, 7:38am
Oh I think I get it now. Your mate has been by and had a look at the car.

A poor earth connection WILL prevent the starter from cranking the engine.

So, again, has the auto electrician actually SEEN the car!

owene, Apr 25, 11:59am
Tie a big hefty tieclip around the battery feed (positive) cable so that even if there is a leak, it'll be reduced by the additional obstruction in the circuit. Make sure you pull the tieclip on really tight and if one alone doesn't work, keep adding others. At some point, the juice will give up trying and will simply stop flowing so you'll no longer have flat batteries.

pup2, Apr 25, 10:00pm
I myself have used this on several occasions and have found that using multi coloured cable ties works best. For me, using a red then blue then yellow then red, blue, yellow etc. You may need to experiment with the colours depending on your franchise location. example, if you brought your car in Auckland you would use blue, white, blue, white. It's the small details that make the difference

richard198, Apr 25, 11:02pm
" I had another battery in it which was new & I never had this problem "
All this other talk about earth straps and cable ties etc. are just red herrings.
The majority of cars drive around without any problems because they have a decent battery. Sure; secure the earth strap, that's essential but it wouldn't flatten your battery. As quoted above, you put a new battery in, problem solved!

richard198, Apr 25, 11:06pm
Jason18 & myself seem to be the only ones here who see the blindingly obvious!

saki, Apr 26, 4:30am
And me #13, I think it is about spending coin, one good battery for what was two cars

pdc1, Apr 26, 6:04am
Excellent! 100% guarantee it too I suppose! Jason always asks simple electrical questions on here and you are an alarm installer, so it couldn't possibly be anything else.
Yes the battery is a likely source of the problem, but I couldn't state it is definitely the cause like you seem to be able to do, as well as state that the auto electrician has made a mistake. Why not get it retested first to make sure rather than state this is the problem.

crzyhrse, Apr 26, 6:16am
You guys must have interpreted this somewhat differently.

bigfatmat1, Apr 26, 7:07am
Omg What a horriblethread to try and understand. From what I can make out from the thread it sounds like a battery problem and the auto electrician sounds dumb. If the battery is non sealed 1 test would determine weather it is a battery fault or not and its called a hydrometer if you stick it in the battery and measure the specific gravity and it says charged in all cells when ya car will not start then its the battery. If it shows flat in all cells it would be a problem on the car. I fail to see how this test has not been done. if its sealed your best bet is electronic load tester to check the state of charge. Batteries normally fail because the surface area of a battery is sulphated reducing the surface area and in turn the output its very rarely that a battery will not accept a charge. If a battery does not accept a charge its generally because that sulphation is very thick which means you would of noticed it getting slower and slower to start.I would recommend taking your car to another sparky and start again don't bore him with ya life story on how much trouble its been just mention it doesn't start if he needs information he will ask.

jason18, Apr 26, 7:11am
haha now now no angry.sorry but im just stating the obvious.

pup2, Apr 26, 8:43pm
So jason, fatman, and whoever else is 100% positive it is the battery, do batteries just recharge themselves! Remembering, it sat overnight and then didn't start. Didn't do anything to it and then it did start. At the end of the day, the owner was stuffed due to the long weekend and most places would have been shut. I'm sure they will take it into a sparky today to get it checked out. Must have been a full moon over the weekend. Crzyhrse, glad I'm not the only one that seen that also.

bigfatmat1, Apr 26, 9:01pm
Read the post yet someone else who struggles to read.I'll quote my self 'Sounds like a battery problem' where does that say the battery is the problem geeeez ffs if I was %100 sure it was the battery my advise would not of been try another sparky but infact replace the batt.

jason18, Apr 26, 9:17pm
Ok I didnt say I was a 100% positive before you get back on your high horse. I just said it was pretty obvious

richard198, Apr 26, 10:42pm
FYI, batteries can & do gain charge when left alone for a while.

pup2, Dec 16, 2:55pm
roflmao