Toyota 3FSE cambelt

crzyhrse, Apr 26, 1:47am
In what!

If it's broken, it could well be lunched anyway.

crzyhrse, Apr 26, 1:57am
You could be right. I can't remember.

But it's still going to make a difference if it's in an MR2 or a Rav4 as to how long it takes.

crzyhrse, Apr 26, 1:59am
I'd say if you allowed 2½ hours it'd be plenty.

moosie_21, Apr 26, 2:39am
The 3sfe is non-interference, the 3sge and 3sgte are. Shouldn't be too hard getting to it in a Corona. Good luck!

crzyhrse, Apr 26, 2:41am
Just take more tools than you think you'll need.

phillip.weston, Apr 26, 2:56am
MR2s dont have 3S-FE engines. RAV4s are just as easy to do as Coronas/Caldinas etc.

phillip.weston, Apr 26, 3:01am
The job should take about 4-5 hours from start to finish if you don't have access to things like a hoist. You will need a decent air compressor and rattle gun to get the crank pulley bolt off, and then a crank pulley puller to remove the crank pulley if its stuck on. I would replace both the idler bearing and tensioner bearing at the same time, though the water pump is a little tricky and probably requires the removal of the alternator etc to get to. I would also replace the oil pump housing seal as they are chronic for leaking when 10+ years/150,000+kms old.

With the Corona you would want to support the engine (ie jack under the sump) and remove the cambelt side engine mount entirely which is 3 bolts on the body for the bracket, then 2 bolts and a nut to remove the bracket from the engine support, then a further 3 bolts to remove the engine support bracket. Once they are out of the way then the cam belt cover comes off easy enough. Power steering pump can be moved by undoing the one lower 14mm bolt, it is deceiving thinking you need to undo the top 14mm bolt too but it's not necessary.

phillip.weston, Apr 26, 3:07am
oh yeah and on the ST190 Corona I did the job on there is no obvious timing mark on the crank pulley. There is a hole in the crank pulley about 5mm diameter close to the pulley bolt, which if you line it up with a dot/lump underneath it places it at #1 TDC, however given the strut tower is in the way you cannot see it unless you have an arrangement of mirrors and torches. Supposedly there are marks on the scissor gears when you take the rocker cover off, but I didn't need to check that out as I marked the cam gear against the cover before taking the old belt off, which from the sounds of it you wont have that same luxury.

bigfatmat1, Apr 26, 3:13am
auto data says 2 hrs 10mins I Did one on mrs car in just under 2hrs. no hoist no air tools

crzyhrse, Apr 26, 3:18am
Some MK2 autos do.

phillip.weston, Apr 26, 3:20am
You got lucky :P the Rav4 I did the crank pulley bolt was stuck on good and proper (ie starter motor trick didn't remove it, it was also auto so couldn't put it in gear). Once the bolt was removed the pulley was stuck on the crankshaft too. They had probably been on for over 150,000kms. I also had a severe oil leak from the oil pump housing to deal to at the same time.

phillip.weston, Apr 26, 3:22am
Strange. I couldn't find any 3S-FE models for any of the SW20s listed here throughout the generations they came in - http://english.auto.vl.ru/catalog/toyota/mr2/

Having said that google shows up a few hits for 3S-FE SW20.

intrade, Apr 26, 4:07am
if the belt has broken then as per above it will have bent loads of valves.

crzyhrse, Apr 26, 5:13am
You had me questioning my (admittedly flakey) memory so I did a google too. I only know they had them because a guy I knew had one!

phillip.weston, Apr 26, 6:35am
Not the 3S-FE - definitely non-interference.

moosie_21, Apr 26, 7:28am
+1, read my previous post intrade!

johnf_456, Apr 26, 8:10am
These engines are non interference!

candy1213, Apr 26, 1:34pm
3sfe and 4sfe same timing belt t199
have fitted heaps on the st190's in the past ''bloody taxi's
got it down to 1.5 hrs with air tools
change the oil pump gasket and seal too or it will leak not long after the timing belt, gasket is a toyota only part ,but well worth changing it, they get brittle and leak real ''bad! have fun!

jezz43, Apr 26, 6:35pm
there are 4 marks on the scissor gears. 2 on each cam shaft. the inner 2 marks should be right next to each other facing each other, the other 2 should be pointing directly up towards where the rocker cover goes. they are very hard to see if the engine is dirty

phillip.weston, Apr 26, 9:24pm
Definitely not a Toyota only part, I've purchased mine through ACL and they were approx $3+GST each.

phillip.weston, Apr 26, 9:25pm
Thanks for that, should help with future reference.

crzyhrse, Apr 26, 10:12pm
Interesting. I never even noticed the error in the thread title. 3F-SE instead of 3S-FE.

phillip.weston, Apr 26, 10:16pm
hah! neither did I. Thankfully they don't make a 3F-SE.

bigfatmat1, Dec 16, 2:05am
actually the 3sfe has two camshafts one pulley joint by gears and a spring loaded anti rattle shim.