Holden vl diff

402rat, Mar 28, 7:53pm
hi i was told i could use a lsd from a xd ute and put it into my bw 25 spindle diff,can i just swap the lsd over or do i need to swap the pinion as well,thanks

schultzie, Mar 29, 4:08am
remove the crown wheel from the ford carrier & bolt the holden one onto it. Keep them as matched pair

402rat, Mar 29, 6:13am
thanks but im wanting to put the lsd from the ford diff as in the the spider gears from the ford diff into my vl,i want to no if there interchangeable, i think your referring to the ratio!

schultzie, Mar 29, 7:07am
From memory the whole carrier (including the spider gears etc) is the same as both used the borg warner diffs provided they are both either 2 or 4 pinion. Why bother changing over just the gears when you can switch over the whole carrier. What i mean with the ratio is you cant mix gear sets. Keep them matched pair ie ford pinion with ford crown.

402rat, Mar 29, 8:04am
ok so a lsd carrier out of a xd ute will bolt to the 3.45 crown i have read but cant be lower that 2.92 ratio,so i can keep my 3.45 crown and have a 2.92 or 3.23 carrier.

402rat, Mar 29, 8:09am
i like the plate under your profile too,

schultzie, Mar 29, 8:24am
yes take the lsd carrier from the ute plus the bearing shells, bolt your VL 3:45 crown too it & place it into the VL housing to mate with the VL pinion. While you have the carrier out you may as well place a shim or 2 in there & possibly machine a couple thou off the cones to tighten it up again as im assuming its very worn. You could use the ford 2:92 or 3:23 ratio but you must use the matching pinion. Changing pinions is a big drama on its own as you have to set the correct backlash which is a bit#h.

schultzie, Mar 29, 8:25am
yeah. Its my toy/paper weight.

402rat, Mar 29, 8:54am
haha nice,thanks for that,also are there 4.11 vls and would the same lsd from the 292 fit the crown of the 4.11!

schultzie, Mar 29, 9:08am
the 2ltr VL had the 4:11 i think & yes the same carrier will switch into it afterall its still the 78 series carrier. You can take any diff carrier from commodore VL to VS as they all use the 78 series. Note that VL 2 & 3 ltr models used 25 spline axles, all the rest used 28 spline. As for the ford equivilent. Im less clued up on the blue oval but im sure XD to EL falcons used the 78 series too. Be aware tho the early models would have used 25 splines. Im not sure where they switched

402rat, Mar 29, 9:13am
awesome mate appreciate it,been on so many forums and thought id try here and just as well i did,

schultzie, Mar 29, 9:18am
need any more older commo info just send me a message on my listing. Been building mine since 2002 & have done everything possible myself so have learnt a thing or 5

402rat, Mar 29, 9:21am
thankswill do,i also have a vh in the build so will keep in touch,

402rat, Apr 22, 9:26am
me again,lol,will a 1986 falcon panel van diff be lsd!

schultzie, Nov 29, 2:12am
not too sure. Im sure theres some old ford nuts on here who be able to give you the answer to that