Diesel estima's

jezz43, Apr 21, 7:27am
is there something very wrong with these vehicles! there are literally a dozen or more on here at $1 reserve and they never sell for alot.

franc123, Apr 21, 7:41am
The problem is more with the dropkick slobs that own them and drive them into the ground rather than the vehicles themselves.The drivetrain layout is a complicated one which is labour intensive to fix when repairs are needed, and is sensitive to lack of maintenance to the cooling system especially.Which quickly leads to cracked heads/blown head gaskets and a huge bill to fix it, many are also having problems now with injector pumps leaking, generally smoky engines and a few suspension wear problems at high kms>>>>trouble and expense getting WOF's.If you can get one cheap enough and can do the major repairs as and when required ona DIY basis AND have the nouse to maintain them properly on an ongoing basis they are a good buy.

r15, Apr 21, 7:42am
nothing wrong with them if their cooling system is kept in good order.

however its common for these to see no form of preventitive maintenance.

the radiator is at the front, the engine is mid. there are steel pipes that connect the 2.these steel pipes have a tendancy of rusting on the inside, which causes gum / rust / flakes to block the radiator. this in turn leads to over heating, and then cracked heads.

i bought one a few years ago that would overheat unless the heater was on.i took the radiator to the radiator shop to be rodded out / cleaned, they said it was 80% blocked.

after it was unblocked the van got a thrashing everywhere, complete with 7 people in it often. i last saw it about 4 years after i owned it and it was still going.

they have earnt themselves a really bad reputation because of this issue above.

they go bloody well, especially considering they dont have a large engine. 2.2 turbo, some come 4wd, some have independant rear suspension, some dont. internal features can be overkill or just the usual.

overall a lot of vehicle for not a lot of money

movnon, Apr 21, 8:38am
What you say is absolutely right, Lack of regular maintenance, Especially the cooling system,oil & filter changes is the real problem here. There must be more estima people movers on the roads than all other brands combined by far, so its really a numbers game.good to drive & ride in too.

johnf_456, Apr 21, 8:54am
As above, regular maintenance is the key for most vehicles. Most kiwi's can't maintain a car unless a wof inspection finds it out. Regularly maintenance such as coolant changes, oi + filter, tyres, brakes shoes and pads etc will keep most vehicles problem free.

intrade, Apr 21, 9:13am
they are called estimer enemas for good reason.

woki, Apr 21, 9:19am
Its the 3-400kms they travel poorly serviced in Japan before being wound back to 50 odd kms and imported to NZ thats seems to wear them out the most .

thejazzpianoma, Apr 21, 10:10am
While I agree with the vast majority of the maintenance suggestions (especially with regard to cooling system issues) its worth noting that the head design on those Toyota Diesels is flawed and can crack sometimes even if the car is meticulously maintained.

Also, do your math carefully if you are considering buying a diesel one with fuel economy in mind. You need to change the oil every 7500 KM to keep those engines running happily and they are not particularly economical diesels.

Not saying you won't save money of a petrol one but do check the math if this is an economy decision as depending on your running it may not be worth it.

Also, those early Estima's are appalling in a crash. They are an older vehicle but people often think because they have a bonnet out the front they are pretty safe. I havn't seen a crash test for a RHD one but the LHD crash tests showed they have a nasty habbit of decapitating the driver with the steering wheel in a frontal collision.

r15, Apr 21, 10:49am
you're most likely right jazz, however speaking for myself, crash stats rate very low in my vehicle buying choices. so far i've owned about 10 cars with air bags and not once have i used them.spending any serious money to get safety features is like buying a 4wd for use on only paved surfaces. realisticly you're unlikely to ever need them- still nice to have.

elvis58, Apr 21, 10:56am
+1Bottom line is vehicles were never made to be crashed into each other, this rating system is great for the govt and the sellers but until they encase the occupants to protect them from all scenario's its nothing ,more than a marketing ploy.

franc123, Nov 27, 10:41am
While I'm all for making cars safer, it sure as hell seems like that is the case at times.When it comes time to purchase a new vehicle, are people REALLY that concerned that this years new Ford Fiasco has a 5 star NCAP rating than last years Toyota Tedium that has only a 4!No.If the potential buyer doesn't like the Fiasco because the cup holders are in the wrong place or the seat doesn't go back far enough or the stereo in the Tedium is better then those tend to sway the argument more.Same with fuel economy ratings, they are simply another form of oneupmanship that the manufacturers use, but not really that influencial at the end of the day.