How long is warming up your engine

bevharris1938, Apr 18, 11:25pm
before you drive it going to prolong its life !

fiatracer, Apr 18, 11:25pm
it won't

crzyhrse, Apr 18, 11:28pm
30 seconds then drive it gently until it reaches normal operating temperature.

wrong2, Apr 18, 11:30pm
was a requirement with older engines. modern metalurgy , manufacturing processes & oillargely negates it

321mat, Apr 18, 11:35pm
5-10 minutes, in order to warm the oil fully, and thereby reduce oil pressure (warmer oil is thinner).

If you give it the beans before that, you put too much pressure on the oil scraper ring, and the valve seats.This leads to shortened engine life.

ct9a, Apr 18, 11:46pm
people always warm the engine up,but your gearbox,diff ,brakes etc are still cold.

crzyhrse, Apr 18, 11:58pm
As a mum! LOL

If you weren't pretending to be a mum, johnf_456, what would you do!

crzyhrse, Apr 19, 12:04am
And again, this time in English, johnf_456.

mrfxit, Apr 19, 1:15am
It's not me either, has I don;t really have that much time for stirring, kiddies tend to take up a lot of time.

elect70, Apr 19, 1:25am
In winter I let it run while i finnish my morning coffee, then the heater can pump out some heatas soon as i get going , about 5 minutes .

pdc1, Apr 19, 5:12am
It's likely you aren't doing your engine any favours giving it a warm up, especially if you let it idle. If you must do, do it a favour and run it at 3000- 4000 rpm.
I'm a believer of starting to drive as soon as you can. The sooner the engine warms up, the sooner wear will slow down inside, as well as fuel consumption.
I wouldn't drive it at full load/ full revs though until it is at normal running temperature.

cuda.340, Apr 19, 5:50am
i'm lucky, my daily drive car has the switch under the dash set on "company car". that means it doesn't need any warm up what so ever, drive it hard for the first km & the heater is lovely & hot, you never have to look under the hood & check oil or water because it don't need to be checked ever. if it does then you drive to the mechanic & he can check but so far nothing has gone wrong. if the switch under the dash was set on "private owner" it would have broken down many times by now. i love that switch!

rustihammer, Apr 19, 6:09am
I have one of those switches fitted as well.

big.b-lil.c, Apr 19, 6:21am
im glad you dont work for me

socram, Apr 19, 8:18am
Which is why an oil pressure gauge is so useful.Years ago, I never used to switch my car off until the oil gauge had dropped - which is a fair time after the water has warmed up.On a modern engine, the water warms quite quickly.Gentle usage immediately is the best but for those leaving the car outside, I can understand the point of warming up before setting off to power the demister etc, but it won't do the engine any good.

poohbear011, Apr 19, 8:23am
my sentras done 385000ks on orignal engine and never been heated up before driving 2 work, and im also 100% certain that in the holden hsv manual it says warming up engine is wasting gas and unessary

bigfatmat1, Apr 19, 8:32am
I know when my toyota has oil pressure it iswhen the knocking stops. that means its safe to drive. Op you will get a big range of opinions in here its a heavily debated subject with lots of pros and cons. My recomendation would be 1 min or so then drive it reasonabily gently till at operating temp. Im sure screwing the ring out of a cold engine is not good.

m16d, Apr 19, 8:44am
Yer. engine warms are only related to air cooled aircraft engines that have set warm up and warm down procedures. because of the expansion clearances of the huge pistons.
Turbines however, go to 600 degrees C within 5 seconds of start.

richms, Nov 18, 8:41pm
I park up beside the outside plug and have a small oilheater on a timer I leave in the car in winter. That means the car is warm and ready to go.

As for the engine. Never bothered. Dont thrash it till its hot, but for backing out of the drive and tootling along the road, no need for anything. Only reason I used to was so that I was inside where it was warm getting my coffee while the heater started to work.