A4 2.4 Audi misfire

Page 1 / 2
toshibanz, Mar 27, 3:20am
Ok.So Ive got a misfire under acceleration .Itmisses and makes a backfire noise.When not accelerating shes fine !
Ive just checked the motor for water laying around and it seems dry as.
Its only been 1oook since I had all the front end off doing the water pump and belts etc.Shes not missed a beat since then!

Any idea's.!

vag.central, Mar 27, 3:36am
May want to check the coils and leads

toshibanz, Mar 27, 4:34am
Sorry for being a little dumb, but where are they!
I just read on a forum that they are ontop of thespark plugs, and part of the lead!
Is this right!

carmedic, Mar 27, 4:51am
Yes he means coil packs on top of the plugs and check the wiring to them. I??

toshibanz, Mar 27, 5:01am
Thanks.Ill take a look tomorrow when I'm in a better mood haha.

So would they make the motor misfire under load,and perform ok when starting, and cruising!

If it is that, it just started when I leftthe supermarket this afternoon!
No signs before that anything was up.

carmedic, Mar 27, 5:05am
Coil packs often misfire under load or the warmer they get.
If you plug in a fault-code reader/scanner it??

toshibanz, Mar 27, 7:45am
sweet thanks guys :)

toshibanz, Mar 27, 8:04am
oh the other thing.Theres no service light coming on in the dash when its missing and back firing.Would there be if its searchable with the diagnostic tool

toshibanz, Mar 27, 8:32am

lasertech, Mar 27, 9:23am
more the first listing, but they are used. Work out which one it is and replace it locally and get the correct part. They are not expensive now, around 100 each retail.

toshibanz, Mar 27, 9:25am
Thanks, I was only using those as picture examples :)

40wav, Mar 28, 3:42am
You will ALWAYS get trouble with those eventually.

toshibanz, Mar 28, 4:10am
Oh and I just took it up the road and it doesn't seem to do anything much until it gets a little warmer.

thejazzpianoma, Mar 28, 7:59am
toshibanz,
Heat and moisture can affect the coil packs. If its started since we had rain its bound to be one of those. I would suggest a call to Qualitat for pricing and further confirmation that its the coil pack, which I would put my money on it being as well.

VW stuff is usually well priced in NZ so should not be a massive advantage in importing. Do try and get this sorted a.s.a.p though as running it like that will not be doing your expensive catalytic converter any good.

BTW, is the car being stored in the garage or outside!

thejazzpianoma, Mar 28, 8:06am
With regard to the service light it dosn't always come on or even log a fault, I think it depends on the severity of the problem. If you can get it to regularly misfire the usual diagnostic trick is to unplug the injectors or spark plug leads one at a time until you strike one that does not cause a change.
I think I would start with a call to Qualitat though, also hit them up and see if they can provide a coil pack for testing on sale or return. Even if they only give you half your money back for one in an open box if it proves to be something else that should still be a cheap way of diagnosing the fault. Its more than likely going to cost you nothing for the diagnosis as chances are you will use the coil pack.
That said you want to check your leads etc thoroughly first in case its just one of those playing up.

toshibanz, Mar 28, 8:16am
Hi Jazz.No sooner that I recover from the water pump and belt replacement, this pops up.

Um, yeah it has been raining and the cars been outside for a few days. I gave the spark plugs a check today and they looked like they were all ok.None were fouled up.I also gave the spark plug holes a spray with CRC in-case a bit of moisture was there arcing. I also gave the connections around the engine a spray as well. I took it over the remuktuka this arvo, started out fine, and within a k or so it started the shuddering and misfiring, and back firing .So came back home.

Is is something that would show up on a scannong tool.Theres a guy here that has one for BMW s which I think he also does Audis!

thejazzpianoma, Mar 28, 8:50am
Depends on the tool and the year of the car etc. If its a mate and there is no cost to plug it in then no harm in trying it.
Coil pack is really no big deal in the scheme of things, I think a call for a price etc is a good place to start. Its one of those parts that's best tested by replacement if its economic/easy to do.

toshibanz, Mar 28, 8:59am
Cheers.Do I also replace the one on the front of the engine that the leads go back to !

toshibanz, Mar 29, 6:10am
Apparently mine only has the coil pack on the motor, and not theones on the plugs!

vag.central, Mar 29, 9:56am
No, I mean the coils and leads, they use a waste spark setup on the 12v and 2.4 and 2.8 30v v6, there is 3 coils mounted at the front of the engine, you will see them when you take the cover off

toshibanz, Mar 31, 9:03am
I took the covers off again and checked the leads, theres defiantly noconnections on the ends like any of the photos of the lead coil packs.They just look like a one piece lead with a long stalk.!

Pretty sure mine only has the one on the front of the motor.Well thats the one I've ordered anyway :)

toshibanz, Apr 18, 7:41am
Thought I'd better report back. (we all hate the ones that ask and then never updater ).I got a new coil pack and leads and the problems gone.

Oh and it had one coil pack unit on the front of the motor, not indervidual ones on the leads.

Cheers guys.Now the next thing is trying to find out how to replace the gear shifter/ tiptronicshifter unit. I need to replace mine because the nylon thing that goes into the knob button has broken off on mine now.

It looks like the whole unit needs to be replaced! !

vag.central, Apr 18, 9:19am
toshibanz wrote:
Oh and it had one coil pack unit on the front of the motor, not indervidual ones on the leads.
quote]

Told you scotty

toshibanz, Apr 18, 10:06am
LOL.!

toshibanz, Nov 15, 10:41am
Hey Vag.Would you mind texting me.I have a question Id like to ask.

0 2 7 8 2 9 8 0 3 6

Ta !