V8's

Page 1 / 2
johnf_456, Apr 17, 9:53am
Whats everyones opinion on opening the v8 tournment up to more competition rather than the traditional manufacturer battle with ford vs holden.

johnf_456, Apr 17, 9:54am
On a side note before sr2 jumps in attacking, I do not hate the v8's as you seem to think in the other thread I just mentioned the honest reality of the situation at hand even though the benefit and income for the area out weighs it all. Has everything has pro's and cons so to say I should be in general is pretty harsh and I think you shoudl withdraw it because its the way I feel especially when I have tickets watching it from the radio station here.

But as they say nothing will have no negative affects.

xacoon, Apr 17, 10:01am
as soon as you talk them into letting more makes into the gt3 racing, and more makes into the toyota series. they have a sucessful series, why bother changing a winning format! and for the record my tv has not been on tv3 all day, I cant be bothered with the supercars, so ya know what I do instead of bitch about them! I dont watch them. obviously many do or otherwise they wouldnt still be going.

johnf_456, Apr 17, 10:02am
You should get into it more, you'd probably enjoy it.

xacoon, Apr 17, 10:03am
at least the pointless blue red rivalry brings something to it, the single make races are even more mundane. how often do you see other racing discussed to the same levels as the v8s. best racing class aside from trucks is the pre 65 in my opinion.

davedog, Apr 17, 10:03am
I think it would be great - Used to be like this with BMW, Sierra's and Volvo's.

Seems to me that the Skyline was too hard to beat and that was the end of it - shame really!

xacoon, Apr 17, 10:03am
define it!

johnf_456, Apr 17, 10:05am
v8 supercars

xacoon, Apr 17, 10:05am
fr vs fwd na vs hairdriers there was more to it than that, needed some form of parity

xacoon, Apr 17, 10:06am
I dont see how! maybe if you lose pace cars and limiters, had the enduros as single driver races, even then its a push.

davedog, Apr 17, 10:12am
Eh! I don't speak txt - what did you say!

jkm, Apr 17, 10:13am
The current format is very well supported by the fans.

franc123, Apr 17, 10:15am
The only reason the V8 supercar formula even exists was to save further embarrassment for Holden.Aussies were not amused when "Australias Own" got repeatedly thumped by a succession of Group A Walkinshaw XJS Jag, Nissan GTR, Volvo 240T, Ford Sierra Cosworth, BMW 635/M3 plus others I can't remember. ITS TRUE!Haven't followed V8's since they started and aren't going to start now, its incredibly boring.Jim Richards' "pack of arseholes" speech summed it up perfectly and was one of the high points of Australian motorsport!

franc123, Apr 17, 10:16am
Haha snap!

davedog, Apr 17, 10:16am
This might be true - but how many fans are they missing out on by the silly polarisation that takes place. How difficult would it really be to have the V8 Supercars Series (as we do now) and the Premier Open Series that they could also participate in as well!

xacoon, Apr 17, 10:17am
front rear versus (sorry should have been 4 not f) four wheel drive versus naturaly aspirated versus turbocharged. sorry thought these were fairly simple acronyms that would have been bread and butter stuff on a motoring message board. will factor for the lowest common denominator in future, cheers.

davedog, Apr 17, 10:19am
Right - I'm with you now. lol. I am probably the lowest common denominator here.

xacoon, Apr 17, 10:22am
always going to come back to the parity arguement, I dont see running na vs turbo as parity, or 4wd vs fr as parity. the only way you could really play that game I think is if you took it back to the straight from the showroom floor days, so you could in theory drive to the track, race, and hopefully drive home. otherwise you might as well throw a steroid fueled camel in the melbourne cup. although I for one would pay to see that.

davedog, Apr 17, 10:23am
I missed this one - but was at the one before it. It was a great format, excellent track and awesome way to spend a weekend!

davedog, Apr 17, 10:24am
Could I be so bold to suggest that the lack of parity would encourage the car manufacturers to increase the spec and performance of their vehicles! How good would a 4WD Holden with a Turbo be going head to head with a Skyline - I'd pay to see that!

xacoon, Apr 17, 10:28am
going back to factory spec racing would encourage that maybe, if mods are allowed it just ends up in a big bunfight for all and sundry and ends up ruining the racing at the end of the day, too much off track politics isnt healthy

jmma, Apr 17, 10:30am

cocabowla, Apr 17, 10:31am
come 2013 i'll be losing interest , i enjoy the "2 horse race" so to speak. there are other clases catering for a mixture of capacities and outputs and if you hadnt noticed there is no main stream televising of them coz there isnt the demand.

xacoon, Apr 17, 10:33am
its like with nascar, the brand rivalry is what drives it. always going to get haters, and those like myself who are indifferent, but yeh the numbers speak for themselves really. at the end of the day its a dont like! dont watch situation isnt it

jmma, Apr 17, 10:43am
Yes rivalry is a good word, mention Holden on here and some Ford lover will jump in and vice-virsa.
Doesn't really sound the same Nissan/Toyota
Go the Holdens (o: