Toyota or nissan 4wd?

shepd, Apr 17, 9:08am
Pros and cons for toyota and nissan 4wd, whats better!

zephyrheaven, Apr 17, 9:08am
Toyota - you will feel better

joker9377, Apr 17, 9:13am
Nissan is 24volt if you want the Safari/Patrol. Pain in the a$$

shepd, Apr 17, 9:15am
After a ute for fishing, hunting etc

tnt423, Apr 17, 9:22am
Depends what Toyota or Nissan you are after.

franc123, Apr 17, 9:30am
Actually NZ new Patrols are 12V.If you are looking at older diesel Navara's and Hiluxes the options are this:

Navara, is cheaper to buy, the TD diesel engines are far more reliable (no timing belts and cracked heads for a start), but the electrics used in older Nissans don't last and occasionally body rust and weak gearboxes (bearings) can be a problem.
Hiluxes are overpriced, L series engines are gutless and overated, but the rest of the vehicle tends to hang together a bit better.Most are sold because they are starting to cost money and many people buy them because of the myth that they never need repairing or maintaining.

shepd, Apr 17, 9:41am
Cheers have been very interested in Navara's lately, big fan of no cam belt! I have a land cruiser for the boat already, and was keen on a hilux 99 onwards as well as a navara 99 onwards! the price and kms of second hand hilux's are ridiculous i feel, ill research some more .

franc123, Apr 17, 9:45am
Be extremely careful with late model Navara's, the engines that replaced the TD (YD and ZD) were not a patch on the old ones as far as long term reliability goes.I'd get an example with the old motor in it even if it had high km's, far less to go wrong on them.

shepd, Apr 17, 9:52am
Ok cheers ive been looking at ones similar to this auction (#368306456), any more info would be great

xs1100, Apr 17, 10:45am
dont even go near a zd nissan motor a real lemon.if you want a real good hilux and depending on budget and what have you pacific motors in kaitaia traded a late 90s hilux 1 onr done 140ks the other day want 10k for it only a single cab with a ali deck but mint truck was up there the other day and saw it talk to jj if interested

franc123, Apr 17, 10:49am
Yes!Thats the one you should be looking to buy.As always with diesels you should make sure you are getting a well maintained one.

xs1100, Apr 17, 10:51am
yep nice nissan but what does he really want for it and getting up in ks

pdc1, Nov 11, 1:58am
+ 1, however the second series of the common rail neo motor is apparently ok, and will offer better fuel economy which the TD motor doesn't have (nor the Toyota). You might be able to get a good buy of the second series as it may be tarnished by the first series.
The ute that you gave auction details for is a great model, although at the mileage you would have to be careful on what sort of life it has had, and looking at the pictures, I would say pretty hard. It's also non turbo.
I've never understood what people see in Toyotas. I can understand their reputation in the 70's & 80's, but the 90's! To me just sitting in their cabs have always felt small and poxy compared to the Nissan. There seems that both suffer from faults, but I don't see the Toyota to be better. I would choose the Nissan if price was similiar, but the fact that Toyota fetches a premium takes it off the radar for me.I've had 2 Terrano with TD27T in the last 20 years. First one(1990) for 10years and 300k km and the second one(1997) now for 10 years and a further 250k km and both have given me no trouble what so ever.