Ef fairmont coilpack

laneyjan, Apr 17, 3:47am
thanks for info guys for my last post on sons 6 cylinder.it was the HT leads and they wrecked the coil pack ,which had to be replaced too.my question is how do intermittant faulty HT leads wreck a coil pack!.Ford is one piece and all three need replacing .do Holdens opperate as singles or as one connected unit like ford!.just interested.I am used to dizzy and coil cars cheers

unbeatabull, Apr 17, 4:07am
There is a lot of voltage that flow through those leads. if that voltage doesn't take its correct course it can cause damage!

Whatya mean by Ford is one piece and all 3 need replacing! Im pretty sure that the EF is still a dizzy + coil ignition setup

laneyjan, Apr 17, 5:14am
no we have the triple coilpack in our hands .no dizzy

unbeatabull, Apr 17, 5:19am
Ah right, my bad, musta been about the time they switched over.

dr_blueoval, Apr 17, 7:28am
The coils fail because having open circuited HT leads or other high resistance in the secondary circuits like worn distributor caps and rotors in the case of conventional ignition system, puts too much electrical stress on them, as do worn spark plugs of course.
Between 1994 and 2002, Ford Australia made several confusing changes to the ignition systems used on the Falcon family, the 6 cyl EF/EF2 was changed to the EDIS coilpack system, but reverted to the distributor TFI system for the EL series that followed, that was only slightly changed from that used in the EA-ED, but then went back to the coilpack system for all engines for the AU.The X series utes and vans from 1993 used the TFI system uninterrupted until they were replaced by the AU, as did all the E series V8's.When the Barra DOHC engines came out in the BA it was changed yet again to a cylinder individual coil-over-plug system, which is by far the most common system used by all manufacturers today.
The Holden V6 engines used a one piece coil pack for the VN, but changed it for the VP onwards to three individual coils driving two cylinder each, and used that system for several years.Ford used an identical type of one piece coil for the EF and early AU, but fitted a modified one for the late AU, of the same style.The HT lead layout was however different between EF and AU and AU2.Hope all that made sense :)

laneyjan, Nov 10, 8:18am
thank you Dr Blue Oval that is very interesting and I understand nearly all of it and no the plugs were good and the gap was 1.1it was the HT leads putting strain on 5 cylinder coilpack .new leads and coilpack and lots of dollars but car is good now .thanks