Diesel Problems

Page 1 / 2
glmm, Apr 15, 5:28am
Is anybody having problens with diesel captivas!

intrade, Apr 15, 5:48am
you be having problems with any diesel if you dont use a lubricative additive. like chemtech or wynns-edt or something. the diesel today has less lubrication from batch to batch. google "ulsd problems"

glmm, Apr 15, 8:46pm
We have a Captiva that is only 9 months old, and have had numerous problems with the particle filter blocking.We do not do short running in it, so can not understand what the problem is.Service people are just as puzzled.

intrade, Apr 15, 9:51pm
to clean the particular filter you have to go and thrash the living crap out of it. Do you drive like a nana at all times!
read this to get a idea how it suposedly works.
http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/DPF-Adblue-FAQ-VW-Audi.htm

intrade, Apr 15, 10:08pm
page 2
The active regeneration "self clean" occurs when filter soot loading is beyond 45% or every 466-621 miles (750-1000 kilometers), whichever is sooner.EGR is shut off and the fuel injectors squirt a little fuel into the engine cylinders after combustion (post combustion injection) that travels to the oxidation catalytic converter and oxidizes to raise EGT to around 600-650oC.The gasses travel to the DPF and burn up the trapped particulates.

During an active regen the car's computer also temporarily increases turbo boost about 2-4 psi to make up for any lost power.Engine rpm also goes up around 200 rpm on the 2.0L engine.A cycle lasts about 10 minutes and if you shut the engine off in the middle of an active regen cycle, you'll hear the radiator fans in the front of the car running fast (even after the car is shut off) and you may smell a burning rubber type odor.It will resume once you exceed 38 mph after the next engine start (and the exhaust is warm enough).

If the car still can't do an active regen and soot loading reaches 50-55%, it will try to force a 15 minute regen cycle.If you interrupt it by shutting the engine off, the active regen cycle won't finish.There is normally no light or indicator to show when the car is doing an active DPF cycle.If the cycle was interrupted by engine shut off, it'll try again before lighting the DPF warning light on the dashboard (pictured right).If that happens, drive at about 40 mph for at least 10 minutes in 4th or 5th gear at 2000RPM (Disclaimer: faster would be fine as long as you don't exceed the speed limit).

intrade, Apr 15, 10:20pm
try and figrue out when it does the selfclean and give it plenty on the motrorway. i would rev it close to 4000rpm for 10 minutes to create enough heat. or remove the whole crap and get the computer reprogrammed to operate without the rubish. as you can save loads of diesel without the crap.
your diesel will be similar as the vw they dont invent a other technology for your GM

glmm, Apr 15, 10:42pm
The first time it shut down was after a 150k trip towing a trailer.The following morning after starting, it went into 'limp' mode.The last time was after a trip from Central Hawke's Bay to the Waikato, with only one stop, the next morning - limp mode again.We don't drive like Nana's!We have done over 17,000k since purchasing new in July '10.

intrade, Apr 15, 11:08pm
sounds like your ecu is not controlling the emission gear correctly causing a malfunction.

dingo011, Apr 16, 1:24am
Hmmm sounds like you bought a Captiva! My wife and I went to look at buying a new type 7 and were not impressed. It has one nasty Diesel engine in it! we bought another Koren car instead Hyundai ix35, 135kw and tree stump pulling 393Nm torque from a two litre oil burner. Sorry but we are sure we bought the right one

glmm, Apr 16, 7:39am
Theres definitely something malfunctioning! - try telling that to Holden.
Everything else about the car is fine - we really like it, except for this ongoing problem.We are not happy about Holdens lack of responsibility, it really galls us that they are trying to blame our driving style.There is something inherently wrong with the emission system.This clean air thing seems to be beyond the manufacturers ability.

intrade, Apr 16, 7:45am
go to another dealer like here in whangarei i would never go to holden with a new holden nor would i get a toyota fixed in whangarei if it was under warrenty i be driving it to auckland big dealer where they have people with know how and not shel be right morons. got told by toyota and mitsubishi whangarei that they dont adjust valve clearance on engines hence they had to order shims if i needed any and mitsubishi told me good luck.
Join AA-plus and get it towed to a know-how place cant help you with holdens as to where to go but someone should know here i guess.

stacie_nz, Apr 16, 7:48am
get a toyota

intrade, Apr 16, 7:51am
toyota diesel are just as rubish lol d4d with rooted diesel engines the problem is all the crap that is added to todays cars no one knows how to diagnose the crap unless they can plug in a lead and read off a screen what is wrong.

scoobeey, Apr 16, 7:52am
yes toyota for sure

frank1, Apr 16, 12:26pm
Interesting thread-I have similar prob with 2009 toyota D4D diesel,done 80.000kms,fuel filter has been changed 4 times.Motor would suddenly lack power and would go into limp mode-check engine light would come on--ie would only do about 5kms/hr,so would stop,let it idle then had full power back--filter checked(full of black shit)
Approached BP who we buy the fuel from,but of course no admission of prob on their part.
But found it strange that fuelquip were spending a lot of time there.especially when the sea was at high tide.

im_andrew, Apr 16, 7:27pm
What kind of oil are you running in it! Who services the vehicle!

intrade, Apr 16, 8:40pm
yes a other possibile problem can be the actual crap diesel. fuel batches of diesel are like jojo older diesel have there pumps seeze up due to insufficient lube from to much hydrogen used to clear the heavy load of sulfur on poor quality crude oil its whyyou run a additive(chemtech-winns-edt.et-
c) . no additive and the problems for new commonrail diesel are injector nozzle head life reduced dramaticly with holes in piston at worst case from a premature worn injector.

40wav, Apr 16, 9:24pm
Whatever you do, don't get a Mitsi.Intrade will personally come round to your house and punish you proper.

glmm, Apr 16, 9:38pm
Its the exhaust emission filters we are having the problems with.The car is serviced by Holden franchise, using their special, expensive oil etc.Holden is saying we are the only ones having this problem, which is why we are asking the public about the problem - we can't be the only ones.They are only rectifying the problem each time it occurs, they don't seem to be able to eliminate it!

bjmh, Apr 16, 10:19pm
I'm a one man band service garage,my oil supplier has warned us if we service vehicles with diesel particulate filters.i.e Captiva etc .it is imperative to us a low sap oil.very expensive,which you say they have done ,go back to your dealer and do the squeaky wheel syndrome.this is a price we are paying for engines to meet modern emission levels .apparently,good luck.

phillip.weston, Apr 16, 10:22pm
good lord. I would sell it before the warranty period is up. A 9 month old car shouldn't require this work. Buy a Peugeot 4007 instead.

bjmh, Apr 16, 10:27pm
frank 1 re your D4 Hilux,i recently had the same vehicle with same symptoms,turned out it had heaps of water and silt in fuel tank,caused by poorly fitted fuel inlet/cap,also suspected someone had put dirt in tank,we had to remove tank to clean ,cleaned lines ,new filter and Toyota dealer fitted a new injector pump,dirt and water had stuffed pump.

franc123, Apr 17, 12:00am
Hi Frank, I really think you need to get that tank out and have a look inside, there could be an intermittent blockage in there.It is high time that the oil co's were held more accountable for what they sell, it is costing people $ in repairs and downtime.Also when you are looking at the fuel filter housing on the D4D Hilux next, if you haven't seen it already read what the factory Toyota label on the side of it says.Lets just say are they being serious!

r15, Apr 17, 2:10am
i dont know what it is some people do to their diesels, i've been driving high mileage toyota diesels for years, eg a 350,000+ km 2L caldina, 250~ km 3L powered hiace, 250km++ 3C-T estimas x2, 2C Corolla with incredibly low odo but rooted body, 2KD-FTV! hiace with 320~ kms, and currently a 1kz surf with 250~ kms,ive never used any additives, ive never had ANY engine faults, leaks, etc, only oil changes and cambelts / water pumps / belts

there are a lot of people going on and on about D4 Diesels being shit in this forum when the reality is only a small percentage actually have problems. those that do are generally used in rugged situations and get fuel from questionable sources - eg forest bowser trailers etc.

there are many many couriers around for example using D4D 1KD & 2KD hiaces, many of whom have clocked up huge kms. all that i have spoken to rave about their vans being the best thing since sliced bread.

sure, they can break. but odds are they probably wont.

glmm, Nov 8, 9:51pm
Have those Hiace etc got the latest emission restrictions on them!Bet they don't.