Second hand cars

maverick88, Apr 13, 4:56am
Anyone know of a good, reputable place to buy a second hand car! Looking to spend around 4k I guess. Or at that level is it just better to just trademe one (after inspecting it etc)!

dazza318, Apr 13, 5:22am
Turners Car Auctions is good place to get a good used car sometimes you can get real value for money, but I suggest taking someone along that knows a little abit about cars to take a look over and test drive afew hours before you do any bidding on auction.

franc123, Apr 13, 5:40am
Stick with here mate, the only good buys at Turners are late model company cars/ex lease jobs that are being dumped relatively cheap, even then it still pays to do research on prices.The cheaper the price range you are buying in the worse value you get at Turners.

thejazzpianoma, Apr 13, 6:33am
Hi maverick, I would definitely be keeping all options open in that segment and even though there is more risk with the likes of Turners I would still check out all opportunities.

Your best insurance is to check the car out thoroughly regardless of where you are buying it from.

Its also a segment where looking outside the square and not buying an overpriced Corolla etc can yeild you an awful lot of vehicle for the money.
Just remember to keep extra costs in mind when you consider your purchase.
Timing belt changes and other major service items are often due on cars in that price range and its easy to add $1000 in extra work that is due.

Also, don't fall into the trap of only considering cars that don't have timing chains thinking its going to save you money. Not always the case at all.

If you want to post what sort of vehicle you are looking for I would be happy to point out any potential bargains I have noticed.

tgray, Apr 13, 7:05am
Way to general a question to offer any real help.

phillip.weston, Apr 13, 7:13am
I don't see a single "cheapie" there, while there are some under $4,000, they are grossly overpriced.

stevo2, Apr 13, 7:40am
I was thinking the same but didnt want to write it.
cheers stevo

rovercitroen, Apr 13, 8:40am
There a some dealers on here who appear - and I say 'appear' -to use shill bidders on their $1 reserve auctions so beware of that. Don't bid more than you want to pay.

phillip.weston, Apr 13, 9:01am
are you meaning here on trademe in general Scott or here on the TM MB's! :P

franc123, Apr 13, 9:03am
Yes, too right they do.I was watching a couple last week that were buck reserved by RMVT's (or at least they claimed to be) that were allegedly sold but then the next day I got FPO's for the amount of the top bid, following my decline of the offer they were promptly relisted for that amount as a start price.bit of feeling up of the market going on I'd say.

franc123, Apr 13, 9:17am
Yes I will, I wasn't accusing any of the regulars here of doing it, or even saying it was/is a widespread practice done by dealers.They weren't even vehicles I was particularly wanting to buy, it had been a while since I'd looked at what the larger SUV prices were doing, certainly not since petrol had cracked $2/L, done purely out of interest.

rovercitroen, Oct 27, 12:49am
No, none of the regulars on here Phillip. I meant on TM in general - a couple in Auckland that have been discussed on here in the past spring to mind.