Tyre help please.

barrie2, Apr 10, 11:53pm
Grandson has tyres 205/45-R16 front & 205/55-R16 rear. (All different makes), is this ok and which size spare wheel should he buy as his car has 175/70-R13 in boot but found it does not fit after puncture. (1996 Pulsar). Thanks for replies, appreciated.

ballbagpoo, Apr 11, 12:41am
you can have 205/45/16 on the front and 205/55/16 on the back it is legal but the car wont handle aswell if it was my grandsons car i would be puting a pair of 205/55 on the front an getting a 16inch wheel as a spare haven a 13inch will make the car very dangerous to drive mike firestone.

vr4_legnum, Apr 11, 6:06am
205/55x16 are way to big it. 195/45x16 is a way better size. If me i would be putting a least pair of 195/45 on front and moving the 205/45 to rear or just replaceing the 4 tyres. Any size rim will do 4 a spare as is only to get him to a tyre shop. Just make sure the rim fit the car before you buy it.;

barrie2, Apr 11, 6:33am
Thanks guys.#3 you say: 'way too big' - does this make them dangerous! I don't like to interfere but I am a 'born' worrier.

vr4_legnum, Apr 11, 6:40am
Doesnt make them dangerous or anythink, just the wrong size for the car and they might not fit on the front and would put the speedo way out.

321mat, Apr 12, 2:30am
The car is seriously over-tyred.

Handling would be atrocious, not to mention the wear on CV joints, drive shafts, etc.

mrfxit, Apr 12, 6:13am
Heres a brilliant calculator to play with

http://www.1010tires.com/TireSizeCalculator.asp!action=submit

ming24, Apr 13, 2:00am
Take the car into a couple of tyre shops and ask their opinion.I personally think the current tires are too big and I would go for a smaller tyre all round.

Don't worry about having a smaller spare, as mentioned they are only for getting you to a tyre shop.If your grandson ends up getting the same sized tyres all round and he gets a puncture on the front, make sure he takes a wheel from the back and puts it on the front and put the spare on the rear (if that makes sense!).The car will handle poorly with a spare on the front, this is why the rear wheel should be rotated to the front and spare put on the rear.But only do this if the rear tyres are the same size as the front

barrie2, Oct 24, 8:43pm
Gee guys - a lot of good info there, thanks I will 'digest' it as best I can and maybe 'shout' some decent matching tyres for the lad.