96 terrano r50 engine check light flashing

romanofski, Feb 19, 10:49am
Hey guys, I've just bought a '97 PR50 terrano 2.7 TD manual. Has done a fair bit of Kms but still drives alright. However, when I drive downhill and I use the engine brake to slow me down, I get the engine check light that flashes. I just stop for a few secs and it will stop but does come back on if i use the engine brake again.
I do apologize if my brief description doesn't make sense but I am a complete novice with cars. Hopefully someone can help me :)
Thanks

kramsnave, Apr 1, 6:30am
Driving home from work tonight the orange engine check light starting flashing, any ideas or do i need a scan(td27eti) Truck is manual, all fluids are good.

jasongroves, Apr 1, 6:39am
Is it flashing in any sort of series/pattern! Like 1 long, 2 short flashes!

kramsnave, Apr 1, 6:41am
looks like a continuous blink,

jasongroves, Apr 1, 6:44am
you can check the ECU codes yourself.hold on and I will post some pics.

jasongroves, Apr 1, 6:46am
Should look like this where the fuse box is!
http://img11.imageshack.us/img11/6997/75837677.jpg

steelman3, Apr 1, 6:51am
brake lights in mine

steelman3, Apr 1, 6:52am
x1
how do you check them

jasongroves, Apr 1, 6:52am

kramsnave, Apr 1, 7:01am
cheers for that, I'll have a look in the morning when I can see, I just took it for a spin down the road and the check light has disappeared for the moment but will see if a code pops up when I bridge the connection

mugenb20b, Apr 1, 7:32am
It may sound silly, but check the air intake hose for splits between the air filter box and turbocharger. This seems to be a common fault on these models, so what often happens is the air flow sensor doesn't get the right reading (as most of the air will be drawn through the split in the hose). I'm not saying that this is the problem, but it can be.

gtrmotorsport, Apr 1, 7:39am
go get it fault coded from some one that has the right equipment it could be any thing on a R50 . Other day i coded a R50 and turned out the injector pump was playing up briging the check light on nothing 3k could fix tho.

franc123, Apr 1, 7:51am
x1
Yes didn't want to be the first to say so but check engine lights coming on in these things is not a good sign, even worse if it's accompanied by hard starting, hesitation and flat spotting and random clouds of black smoke.The internals of these particular electronic pumps are wearing out very quickly it seems and only removal and a major rebuild can sort them out, like you say chuck enough money at them and it gets rid of the problem.Regular fuel filter changing is very critical with these too, I'd do this first if it hasn't been done in a while.

zephyrheaven, Apr 1, 7:52am
yes, seen that all too many times yikes

nissan dont make good cars, but people lap em up

kramsnave, Apr 2, 3:47am
just did a check on the ecu code and it come up with code 48 which is apparently this"Quantity adjustment cut circuit fault", can anyone tell me the cause of this, I am assuming it is to do with diesel pump!

jasongroves, Apr 2, 4:18am

glover, Apr 10, 1:48am
I too have exactly the same fault with my terrano, flashing light while driving the other night. So i checked codes and code 48 comes up. Any ideas of the cause! Kramsnave have you managed to figure it out yet!

lookoutas, Apr 10, 3:44am
I've got a 97 manual. Rare as rocking horse turds aren't they! Be for sale soon.
If I stall mine on take-off, and fire it up again immediately, the check light will flash. Happens every time.
Turn it off for about 10 secs and start it again, the light doesn't light anymore.

Just think back - Did you stall it!

jenna1234, Apr 10, 9:28am
The diesel pump fault seams only common with the 3.2 tdi, havnt seen a 2.7 with this problem .

xs1100, May 5, 3:49pm
when did nissan stop making good cars theres only been one real hand grenande that i can think of and thats the early zd30