Alternator charge light flashing

pdc1, Feb 28, 8:10am
an old J15 Datsun engine - haven't had a look at what alternator it has on it yet, or checked charge with voltmeter yet, but the charge /alternator light flashes on and off at idle speed. As you increase the engine slowly above idle, the light flashes slower and then goes out as you increase the revs to approximately 1500rpm.
The machine has been parked up for about 15 years. What is the normal cause for this!

shall, Feb 28, 8:11am
Stuck brushes !

shall, Feb 28, 8:12am
Tap it with something and see if comes right

pdc1, Feb 28, 8:27am
I'll try the tapping tomorrow. Just thinking through what to look for now, as you do in the evening.
The flashing is very regular, on and off pretty much equally. Once engine is running fast enough, the light doesn't flash at all. I would have thought if it was the brushes it would be more intermittent.
I don't even know yet whether it is an internal or external type regulator.

kenw1, Feb 28, 8:29am
Belt tension!

bigfatmat1, Feb 28, 8:32am
HIT IT

theram1, Feb 28, 8:41am
"The Machine".

pdc1, Feb 28, 8:46am
So how hard do I hit it! I would imagine that I would just try tapping around the back end / outer casing with a block of wood!

a.woodrow, Feb 28, 8:58am
Yep thats a good way to go, don't hit it to soft but not to hard either - somewhere in the middle

shall, Feb 28, 10:28am
just enough to jar it a bit but not smash the housing,

it could be other things, but bad brush contacts could be one of them,

intrade, Feb 28, 7:26pm
worn down brushes its a old car i changed brushes on my 82 nissan ndatsun in 94 already and in 97 it went to the dump due to rust from the lime when they tarsealed the road here.

elect70, Mar 1, 3:05am
The tap job will last long enough to reach auto sparkys place .

gsimpson, Mar 1, 3:23am
When it breaks you know you have got to the hit it too hard point.

pdc1, Mar 1, 3:30am
Thanks for everyones help. Tapping didn't work, so I pulled it apart and cleaned it up, and put it back together. It was pretty dirty around the brush holders. Seems fine now.