Cam belt cost - fiat multipla?

Page 1 / 3
dc72, Apr 5, 4:14am
Anyone able to tell me how much it costs to replace a cambelt on a 2002 Fiat Multipla - and anything else that should be done at the same time (2ltr diesel model if that makes any difference!)

thejazzpianoma, Apr 5, 4:34am
Firstly, top choice of vehicle!

The last quote I heard of (secondhand info here) from Mal at Dino Enterprises in Cambridge was about $1500 which seems a bit on the steep side to me.

In terms of what needs doing you would be wise to do cambelt/tensioners/waterpump all together. This is really the only major service that engine has so best to get it all done while you are in there.

The timing belt kit which includes the tensioners should be very roughly around $250 (make sure you use genuine)

Not sure on the waterpump but would not expect much more than $100 for a genuine one.

Best bet is to call Italian Auto Centre in Auckland for a quote on both the parts and the whole job. The Italian Auto Centre may lend your local general mechanic the fitting tools if you buy the parts from them.

You could also get a quote from Dino Enterprises in Cambridge.

I would be very interested to hear how what prices you come back with. I may be able to help if they are on the high side.

The cambelt change is the one job on a Multipla that you might want to get done by someone experienced with them, everything else is fine attended to by a good general mechanic. Its the sort of thing you could work in with a trip to Hamilton or Auckland. Dino Enterprises may even lend you a run about car so you can go shopping in Hamilton while its done.

If you can't get to Auckland or Cambridge of course you could do the tool lending trick as mentioned with Italian Autos.

Best of luck and keep us updated!

Oh and they are a 1.9 Diesel not a 2.0 just to avoid some confusion when you are asking around.

dc72, Apr 5, 4:37am
Thanks! Hubby and I have kinda fallen in love with the idea, but not sure if our budget will stretch to replacing the cambelt on top of buying the car. It needs replacing at 100,000k right!

thejazzpianoma, Apr 5, 4:40am
Are you looking at the silver one in Wellington!

saxman99, Apr 5, 4:43am
Jazz, that took 20 minutes.Could you up your game please!Ta.

dc72, Apr 5, 4:45am
yep, not sure on it as one of those free car check things says it was imported 2007, so confused how it's had one owner from new.

thejazzpianoma, Apr 5, 4:45am
Before you do anything I would ring both Dino and Italian Auto centre for an exact price. The petrol Multipla is 100'000km but I think the Diesel one is less. So check on that when you ring.

BUT most importantly there is an age component which means it will be a certain number of km's or a certain number of years which ever comes first.

In the scheme of things the Multipla is only going to cost you half the price of running most other people movers so a few extra dollars on a cambelt every few years is no big deal. The cambelt and alternator belts are about the only expensive maintenance parts on those as well. The rest of the service bits are cheap as chips.

thejazzpianoma, Apr 5, 4:45am
LOL, slacking I know!

thejazzpianoma, Apr 5, 4:47am
It would be strange for it to be an import. I have only seen NZ new ones. Japan does have them but I would very much doubt they had any diesel ones as their laws didn't allow for diesel cars in that age group.

It may be an import from the U.K and its possibly been bought with the original owners to NZ. People tend to fall in love with them and not want to part with them even when moving countries. I am being serious when I say that! So that wouldn't surprise me.

thejazzpianoma, Apr 5, 4:50am
Anyhow, have a haggle with them as $8500 is plenty of money for that shape, I wouldn't say its over priced but there may be room to move. It looks to be in lovely condition with low km's and be reasonable spec. But it is the last of the pre-update ones.
There was a minor update around the end of 2002 where they got a different looking steering wheel (slight improvement to driver safety) and a few other minor bits. It might be a bargaining tool for you.

hijacka, Apr 5, 4:58am
Perhaps #1 could upload a picture of this top choice of vehicle!

thejazzpianoma, Apr 5, 5:01am
Its on TM if you want to look.

hijacka, Apr 5, 5:02am
Link please!

thejazzpianoma, Apr 5, 5:04am
dc72, I have done some checking. It seems that the replacement interval is about 115'000KM so is not shorter like I thought. It should be done every 5-6 years though regardless of KM's.

Also, I was remembering wrong for that motor. Looks like it can actually be done O.K without the special Fiat tools and is quite an easy job. So if you have a good local mechanic you might be able to get it done a lot cheaper than what I had heard recently.

I also know of a good mechanic over here in Tauranga if you ever head this way. He won't mind you supplying your own parts so I can help you get a good deal on what you need and send him the technical info on doing it etc. Let me know if you want to set that up.

thejazzpianoma, Apr 5, 5:05am

dc72, Apr 5, 5:25am
Thanks Jazz, I'm only finding info on UK websites and it's kinda confusing. Yep we have rellies in Tauranga so that would work well, just have to actually GET to welly and buy the beast, assuming the guy will come down slightly on the price.
Don't wanna buy a dead holden diesel do you :lol:

thejazzpianoma, Apr 5, 5:31am
LOL, sorry its a no on the Holden but you might be surprised who would buy it if you chuck it on trademe as is.

Would you like me to do some checking with regard to getting it done over here then!

Might be a case of jumping on the bus and getting the other half to look after the kids! *(assuming no airport handy for you) BTW, having lived down there buses, trains and shuttles in Wellington go everywhere so you should have no hassle once you are at the bus station.

If you havn't already give Italian Auto's a ring, they deal with these things all day every day and import all the parts direct themselves. They will be able to fill you in exactly on price and whats involved if you are still confused.

thejazzpianoma, Apr 5, 5:35am
By the way, if you do get the cambelt done over here I am happy to pick you and the family up, take you to your rellies, and drop you back to the mechanics if that helps, it would be in my Multipla so you wouldn't have to lower your standards for the trip. I am lucky enough to live a life of leisure as a kept man so is no trouble!

dc72, Apr 5, 5:47am
LMAO, kept man, nice life! Would be cool, and yes please if you could look at the cost getting it done over there. Will be the man heading down to get the car, no fear me in wellington, I get lost just checking the letterbox!

thejazzpianoma, Apr 5, 6:00am
LOL, no worries. I am pretty sure I will be over that way tomorrow so will call in and see what they think. Will post back here when I have some news for you.

Best of luck!

craig04, Apr 5, 6:19am
The excitement of see someonebuying a Multipla was too much. It probably gave him heart palpitations.

craig04, Apr 5, 6:25am
It certainly does look like a nice example (excuse the oxy-moron).

flybye_in_a_rx7, Apr 5, 10:40am
PEOPLE ACTUALLY BUY THOSE CARS!!
OP may i ask you what possessed you to go out and by a multipla

sr2, Apr 5, 11:51am
LOL, I couldn't have put it better myself!

sr2, Apr 5, 12:11pm
It??