Bought a car thats been in an accident !

NZTools, Apr 5, 3:58am
count your losses as you should have checked it properly

morrisman1, Apr 5, 4:04am
hmmm, if the seller knew its been in an accident and concealed this information then you may have a case.

rob_man, Apr 5, 4:05am
There's not enough information in your post to form any opinion really. What is it that is going to cost so much to fix! a power steering hose isn't a biggie.

eagles9999, Apr 5, 4:10am
Only if you asked them and they said No it hadnt been in an accident. Anyway it may be no big deal and lots of cars are involved in crashes and get repaired andare still perfectly useable.

rob_man, Apr 5, 4:24am
People sometimes like to be the bearer of bad news and make it out to be worse than it is. It's a bit hard to form an impression of what's actually wrong with the car apart from a hydraulic hose.
Did he point out damage that hadn't been repaired properly!

stevo2, Apr 5, 4:59am
Do you know what percentage of cars in NZ have been in an accident! Heaps.
Thats how panelbeaters earn a living. Probably only a light graze
Nothing to get upset about.
In the past, Ive bought 2 late model write offs, repaired them and driven them as family vehicles for 2 and 9 years before trading up.
Cheers Stevo

johnf_456, Apr 5, 5:09am
^^ It is the buyers responsibility to inspect it a vehicle to there satisfaction. But in saying that cars get written crashed and dinged all the time, as long as they repaired to standard they often sometimes come out better than before.

rob_man, Apr 5, 5:11am
Me too, I added up the cars I can remember owning once and it was over 60 of them. A lot of them were write-offs that spent time as family drivers.

lookoutas, Apr 5, 5:45am
Most cars that leave our workshop have been in a prang.
I thought we had the only "know-all" mechanics in the country in our back yard, who always seem quick to give opinions on someone elses work.
No offence to you good buggers out there.

scoobeey, Apr 5, 6:16am
stevo2 wrote:
Do you know what percentage of cars in NZ have been in an accident! Heaps.
Thats how panelbeaters earn a living. Probably only a light graze
Nothing to get upset about.
In the past, Ive bought 2 late model write offs, repaired them and driven them as family vehicles for 2 and 9 years before trading up.
Cheers Stevo[/quote
Exactly my cars been in an accident and i knew even told seller(he knew alright). Didnt worry me !

unclejake, Apr 5, 11:31am
Morrisman, you are a good guy, but how many used vehicles in NZ have not been in "an accident"! A blown power steering hose costing "huge money to fix"!

This is bollocks. Half of the planet wants to blame someone else for whatever bad thing happened to them today. It is pathetic.

HTFU NZ. You need to.

sr2, Apr 5, 11:45am
+1. (After two Wild Turkeys).

unclejake, Apr 5, 11:49am
^ Remember when you were young! You shone like the sun :-)

pollymay, Apr 5, 1:21pm
My car has been in an accident. Can spot some of the slightly folded metal under the rear guards and the rear quarter has been drilled off and replaced. They did a good job for the most part so whatever, as long as VTNZ don't get their panties in a twist over it like they do with everything.EVERYTHING.-

I even tidied up some of the bits they missed fixing right. I've fixed and onsold cars that have had a bender and needed upper radiator supports etc, it's very common. Mechanic may be after so $$$$ unless they can show it is serious whatever. If it's major chassis damage then yeah someone has done a dirty. My old honda I welded the broken chassis rail back together LOL, good times

spead, Apr 6, 12:50am
bad luck. Better next time

loose.unit8, Apr 6, 12:58am
Why does he think it's been in an accident and what is the mechanic telling you he 'must' fix in relation to this accident!

lookoutas, Apr 6, 5:23am
All he has to do is reroute the hose back where it should be.

jash3, Apr 6, 5:33am
Because he said the hose isn't going the way it's surpose to it's been in an accident! that doesn't sound right,do you trust his word! if it drives/runs ok i say all good things could be worst!

phillip.weston, Apr 6, 5:42am
I would get a second opinion.

johnf_456, Apr 6, 6:23am
He sounds like an idiot this mechanic but to be safe get a 2nd or 3d opinion you have nothing to loose.

fordcrzy, Sep 30, 5:55pm
take it in for a wheel alignment and see what they say.also look at the bottom of the sills under the doors and you will see a seam pointing straight down.have a look along that seam and see if it has any obvious Clamp marks like its been in a vice, these are where they put it on a chassis straightener. i looked at a car for a freind that had had a major rear end shunt and been repaired. You could see the clamp marks as soon as you looked at the seams and it was fine.just need to know waht to look for.