Had an accident. sump question for the experts.

jam-sam, Jun 20, 8:06am
Last night I got caught out by a 'teenage prank', the little darlings were putting large rocks on the road to amuse themselves (little farkers) in a dark area just over the crest of a hill.I was unlucky enough to be the one that hit one and took out the underneath of my car.It bled out completely in less than a minute and the police arranged for it to be towed.How long does it generally take to fix/replace a sump!Insurance will obviously be paying for it but I just want a ball park idea of how long my car will be out of action.Its a Suzuki Swift.Thanks in advance.

grangies, Jun 20, 9:01am
Jesus.They could have killed someone.

antwerp87, Jun 20, 9:08am
Depends how long it was running without oil. If it isint seized and all internals including pick up are all ok it may just be new/2nd hand sump cleaned up and away ya go with an oil change. Can do majority of sumps easy in a day. If worst outcome, new engine. More than a day.

robbo36, Jun 20, 9:11am
Could possibly have front end, subframe or suspension damage also. Won't know until it has been throughly inspected and assessed.

cocabowla, Jun 20, 10:31am
was thinking it was an amazing coincidence that the very same thing happened to a facebook friend in qld last night to and its you!. lmao

jam-sam, Jun 20, 9:54pm
LOL tis I alright :)
I turned the car off straight away but I suspect that some debris went up into the engine as it was smoking before I turned it off.The rock exploded and pieces went everywhere.I hit it center on rather than swerve into the other lane or end up off the road down a bank so its had the maximum impact on the underneath.*Sigh* I hope its just the sump needing replacing.

crzyhrse, Jun 21, 12:27am
That's no accident.

berg, Jun 21, 4:55am
Just imagine if it had been a motor cyclist that hit said rock

johnf_456, Jun 21, 6:16am
No accident, that is potential manslaughter.

jam-sam, Jul 10, 10:19am
Agree totally. they planned it well.The rock was positioned so when I came over the top of the hill, it was sitting where my lights were above the road due to the crest of the hill (if that makes sense) so I never saw it till the very last second.Cars coming in opposite lane so couldn't swerve that way and a steep bank off the other side.Had my little boy in the car so it scared the crap out of me.Luckily someone else saw the little shits putting rocks on the road earlier and told them to take them off then called the cops, so at least I have a witness for insurance.