In accident - drunk driver.

justafarm, Jul 4, 7:16am
Hi there, I would like a few opinions on how to proceed with the following:
Car accident - other driver at fault (didn't stop at intersection onto SH2 and ploughed straight into the side of me) with numerous witnesses, one of which he ran down when escaping the scene.
He was later caught by police and had been drinking - very nice vehicle but rego expired a few months ago, WOF expired in June, and at a guess, he was way over on RUC too.
My car: third party only with AA. Tow truck driver says a write off, but it will sent to a panel beater later this week.
Obviously, I don't have his details but his car was in the yard next to mine when I went to get my stuff out of it.
What would you do! :)
Feel free to ask me any questions - I just hope this was the right forum to ask this in! Thanks!

woki, Jul 4, 7:19am
Contact the police , they should have all the details and info you need . Good luck .

phillip.weston, Jul 4, 7:20am
if you can name the driver, usually 3rd party policies have cover for these kind of accidents, up to say about $3000 or so. Did you lodge a police report after the accident happened!

justafarm, Jul 4, 7:21am
Would the police give me his details though (will be phoning them tomorrow anyway to see) - apparently he is "known" to them.
I don't know if that bodes well for me ;)

grangies, Jul 4, 7:23am
The panel and paint shop, or the insurance company should contact you soon.

Otherwise ring them. Ring ring ring them.

Ring them.

Keep on ringing them lol.

Ring again.

justafarm, Jul 4, 7:23am
Police came to the hospital to take statements from all of us. The one that took mine has given me his card.

stevel_knievel, Jul 4, 7:23am
How much is your car worth! You should becovered up to $4000 for an uninsured driver.
http://www.aainsurance.co.nz/car-insurance/third-party.html

justafarm, Jul 4, 7:24am
Yeah, I'm wondering (if he is even insured) if his insurance company would pay out on either my car or his under the circumstances ie his being drunk!

justafarm, Jul 4, 7:27am
The basic AA insurable value on my car is $11k - obviously worth more to me! Lol. But man, did it do its job! Kept us all safe! Did a few 360's and went backwards down a dip and through a wire fence (which "caught" us)!

gilligan2, Jul 4, 7:40am
You had an 11 thousand dollar car on 3rd party insurance!

ringo2, Jul 4, 7:49am
And your car was written off by a drunk driver with no rego, WOF, Insurance or money. Well if you have the right AA policy they will pay out $4000.00 and for the rtest a civil claim and he will pay it off at $10 per week.

spead, Jul 4, 7:50am
never never never an accident but always an incident as there is ALWAYS a reason. There is a major difference and the two terms should never be used in the same sentence.

aragorn2003, Jul 4, 7:53am
indeed if you even get that from them

msigg, Jul 4, 7:56am
Post 10 and 11 yes I agree. Call the police ,get details , get advise from insurance company, lawyer, small claims court. keep as much information as you can, times ,dates,calls, details of road (picture, photo of your car and his) anything else to help if you need it to go to court. good luck.

justafarm, Jul 4, 8:16am
Well, his car was worth around $45k. ;)
Mine, personal choice really - the third party was in case I ever hit a mercedes ;)

justafarm, Jul 4, 8:19am
Very good point thank you - it was his decision to skip past a few cars waiting at an intersection!

fordcrzy, Aug 28, 1:45am
agreed. you are about to get screwed. the insurance will only pay out 3-4K and you will be left to try and get the rest from the drunk at $10 a week. the insurance Co may even STOP YOU from trying to recover the rest of the money from him so that they get thier money first.
thats what happened to me. i sued the offending driver in court for the difference between what insurance covered and the value of the car.the insurance company spat the dummy and then tried to sue me for the money they paid me for the claim as the driver then refused to pay them anything.