Motorcycle accident stats.

Page 1 / 2
sr2, Jan 24, 9:26am
NZ Herald today.

"The NZTA data, provided by the crash analysis system (CAS), found the rider was likely to have primary responsibility in 73 per cent of the deadly motorcycle crashes between 2015 and 2019".

Have to say as a motorcyclist that's both a surprising and sobering statistic.

bwg11, Jan 24, 9:42am
It may well be a sobering statistic, but my immediate reaction was, what about the 27% just out for a weekend cruise and get taken out by another errant driver. Keep safe guys and gals.

reasonable, Jan 24, 10:01am
Not surprising to me , she can be a hard road to learn - experience

bwg11, Jan 24, 10:03am
Yes, gravel rash is a better teacher than TV commercials. Also essential to treat every other road user as an idiot out to kill you.

apollo11, Jan 24, 10:18am
From my experience the crashes I had where no other vehicle was involved were always my fault (of course), but when another vehicle was involved it was the car driver misjudging or not seeing me. ie T-bones at intersections, getting hit from behind at the lights, getting knocked out of lane by driver on autopilot etc. Bikes often don't register on other road user's consciousness.

tamarillo, Jan 24, 11:33am
These sort of stats have been around for ages, sad you did not know to be blunt. Part of all training is to know we are the ones who hold responsibility. Sorry.to many of us riding along in blind faith that everyone sees us all the time and will act as we want them. Rant over

tamarillo, Jan 24, 11:34am
yes you’re right so it’s up to us to behave accordingly and too few of us do.

tony9, Jan 24, 11:47am
It would be less that 27% who have no accountability for the accident. Likely less than 13%.

_peas, Jan 24, 11:50am
That doesn't surprise me at all. About 75% of all dodgy overtaking I see would be bikes. If you look at the number of cars vs bikes on road its pretty shocking. We almost had a motorcyclist join us in the front of the van on a camping trip a few years back, he was on the wrong side of the road doing the wrong side of a safe speed around a blind corner and I still don't know how he managed to straighten up to avoid us without ploughing straight off the road.

sr2, Jan 24, 12:05pm
Those stats haven't 'been around for ages', the number of rider responsible road deaths has been increasing dramatically; 2020 was the highest in 25 years.

I'm from the "invisible rider" school of riding, pretend you're invisible and never presume a driver can see you!

Ride safe guys.

desmodave, Jan 24, 12:29pm
Are quad bikes / atv / side by sides etc being lumped in with Motorcycle stats at all ? .
Primo day for a ride down on the coast .

tygertung, Jan 24, 12:32pm
If you go to Vietnam or Indonesia it is safer as the other road users actually 'see' the motorbikes.

marte, Jan 24, 1:06pm
#1, I'd say it's misleading statistics.
What's it made up of? Does it include farmbike accidents, like 4 wheelers? Off road recreation?

What's the figures for non fatal crashes, on the open road, for motorcyclists, like how were they caused?

kazbanz, Jan 24, 2:38pm
I LOVE the way they phrase that.

sr2, Jan 24, 3:39pm
To the best of my knowledge it's road accidents only. NZTA does not investigate off road and farm accidents.

jip11, Jan 24, 4:56pm
As a motorcyclist I find these statistics helpful. Ride responsibly and within your limits then it is not as dangerous as people make out. Ride like a f**kwit and you are at real risk. The number of dead motorcyclists found with P in their system I have been told is around 50%.

tgray, Jan 24, 5:29pm
Not surprising to me. The way many speed, lane change without indicating, high speed lane splitting and general disregard for common law, I thought it would have been higher.

gusthe1, Jan 24, 6:09pm
. That nonsense doesn't help anyone. Confirm your facts with a reliable source or keep it to yourself

serf407, Jan 24, 6:16pm
Some of the quad bike fatalities are on public roads, where farmers/ workers are riding between farm blocks or the worker's house is down a public road from the tractor sheds etc.

jip11, Jan 24, 6:27pm
Was quoted to me when I did an ACC Ride Forever course by the instructor. He also referenced similar statistics to the article. I have been road riding for 30 years and some of the dumbest road behaviour I have seen is from fellow motorcyclists who have the most to lose if it all goes wrong.

tamarillo, Jan 24, 7:09pm
Fair call, what I should have said was that the stats proving riders are mostly responsible therefore blowing the myth that it’s all the other persons fault, have been around. But yes actual numbers have gone up.
Have you ever looked into IAM RoadSmart?

bwg11, Jan 24, 7:34pm
I wouldn't argue with the 73%, simply because I don't know the criteria involved, but is a spill caused (in their opinion) by a loss of the front end on a bike with a 10 year old front tyre, the rider's fault because he/she neglected their "primary responsibility" of replacing the tyre which had hardened with age? The WOF was overdue therefore unsafe - the rider had failed a "primary responsibility" of keeping a current WOF? Their criteria for assessing "primary responsibility" would be enlightening.

desmodave, Jan 24, 8:17pm
bwg11 wrote:
I wouldn't argue with the 73%, simply because I don't know the criteria involved, but is a spill caused (in their opinion) by a loss of the front end on a bike with a 10 year old front tyre, the rider's fault because he/she neglected their "primary responsibility" of replacing the tyre which had hardened with age? The WOF was overdue therefore unsafe - the rider had failed a "primary responsibility" of keeping a current WOF? Their criteria for assessing "primary responsibility" would be enlightening.[/quote
Unless something has changed , 15 year old rubber still passes compliance 2003 bike with 5552kms , must have still been on its 2nd set of rubber . 1 thing i ask now if i am buying , how old are the tyres .

framtech, Jan 24, 9:03pm
Motorcycles on public highways are dangerous, not as much as push cycles - but up there. you have no protection when shit goes wrong, high power to weight ratio and the riders are young and inexperienced or old and with bodies that don't heal so good.
I used to ride up until I worked out I could have as much fun in a car with the added benefit of keeping dry, a heater and a radio and the girl friend could arrive at the dance in a dress without hat hair.Then there was the fact that if you didn't zip up your pockets- the contents including smokes, keys wallet went west, another issue was where to put all the crap like helmets jackets etc everywhere you stopped for more than five minutes, Nah a hot car was far more practical.

socram, Jan 24, 9:49pm
Of course a car is more practical - except when there is very limited or no parking at work (or even at home).

Many of us started on bikes, simply because the cost of compulsory insurance when on a youth wage, meant there was no alternative until getting an adult wage at 21.

Bikes in themselves aren't any more dangerous than trucks or cars, any more than driving fast, in itself isn't dangerous. When limits are exceeded, be they road-holding, skill levels, or the condition of the roads and inattention of other road users, motor bikes/riders are more vulnerable. There is a difference.