Oil for a 9" Limited slip

lookoutas, Apr 1, 5:51am
Doing a change this weekend and was told Nulon works well in them, so I have some of that.
Picked up some limited slip oil today and was told by the rep, that it wouldn't need Nulon.
Bitch of an oil to get out as there's no drain plug and the LS doesn't allowaccess for a suck-out with plunger.

Should I put the Nulon in with the LS oil!

One-eyed Rep, sez leave Nulon out, and put it in afterwards if not happy. Trouble is, making room afterwards is difficult.

lookoutas, Apr 1, 7:14am
I'm not a total "nutted out purest", but drilling non-factory holes would still be morally a bit hard to do.
An Aussie told me Nulon was the bees knees mate, but the Rep. told me the specific LS oil had similar additives.

dvince, Apr 1, 8:28am
Isnt Nulon just a brand name! Anyway, id just stick with the LSD oil you already have (without additives).
Meh, you can always get a refund and get Nulon from Repco or whateva heh.

Edit: I guess you're talking about G-70. Cant hurt I spose.

bill-robinson, Apr 1, 7:05pm
i would think that the type of lsd would determine the type of oil. Is it a detroit locker,salisbury (clutch type).ZF,or torsen! Nulon is, as far as I know, is a frictionreducing additive which will not work with some types of lsd.

lookoutas, Apr 2, 5:51am
Cheers bill - So who knows what type of diff a 1973, 2.75 Traction-Lok is!

This Aussie bloke just told me the Ford 9" diffs really like Nulon (yes G-70). But there's nothing to say that he wasn't completely full'v'imself either.

It's just that, if I don't put the Nulon in first, it'll be a friggin pain trying to make room for it afterwards.

bill-robinson, Apr 2, 8:04am
hi, I just checked google and got a lot of hits. This may give you the answer you need.Bill

frd1, Apr 2, 8:30am
Most types of LSD's need an EP gear oil, Daytona Traction-Lok certainly will. A quality oil won't need the additive. Is Nulon an EP additive or friction proofing additive!

lookoutas, Apr 2, 9:43pm
Here's all it sez 'frd1'

Nulon Manual Gearbox & Diff. Treatment (G70) with polytetrafluoroethylene (PTFE) will help provide smoother, easier gear changes, especially when cold. G70 reduces noise and wear, and extends manual gearbox and diff life. G70 is compatible with all lubricants including synthetic gear oils and automatic transmission oils used in gearboxes.

The specs say FA more.

I've been on the Google trail 'bill' but was also wondering what the knowledgeable experts on here would add.
I can't see any harm in adding this Nulon, but if someone came on here and said "DON'T" and gave specifics of why not, then I wouldn't.

Edit - Shit! I just read that again! Would ya wanta put it in an auto trans!

bill-robinson, Apr 2, 10:37pm
I just had another google and read a small bit on the operation of your type of LSD. It appears to be a clutch type (salisbury) and I would be careful about friction modifiers init. Once you add something to the oil, and it affects the operation badly, it is difficult to remove the additive completely without a strip and cleanBill

frd1, Apr 2, 11:49pm
Is it safe to ask what brand you bought!

lookoutas, Apr 3, 3:19am
Whoops - too late! Already done - guess I'll be finding out if it's OK or not!
What will happen!
Guessing that it wont lock-up!
Cheers for the Google effort 'bill'

Don't know what brand the oil was, and the empty is back at the workshop. The guy usually sells Caltex, but it was a specific LSD oil.

dcoupe, Apr 3, 8:07am
Ive raced stuff with 9" Clutch LSD. The only two name brands that were OK were Caltex & BP. The Oil must have a GL-6 rating ( 85w/140 ) due to the steeper hypoid angle of the 9" R&P, The BP was the only readily available one that got rid of the 'chatter' that they develop with the wrong stuff. Ford did once have a friction modifier that they sold for these applications. There may be other specialty types/brands that will do the job now, but Im not aware of them. Bill is also correct about the strip/clean re-assemble thing to get back to square one.
If you want to do yourself a real favour get a Tru-Trac unit to replace the clutch type unit.fit & forget.

frd1, Apr 3, 7:19pm
I use LE oil as do a lot of the guys running at Bonneville, it's one of the few oils that won't sling off the crownwheel at the top end. I see Speedway Motors endorses and sells it now. Very expensive though.

lookoutas, Apr 3, 9:43pm
This is just a lazy weekend cruiser and never abused, or likely to be.
It's a 2.75, so if it goes tits-up a 3 would probably be it's replacement,

dcoupe sez that Ford took steps to rectify the 'chatter'. So the Aussie might have been right!
If that 'chatter' is a normal thing, then that's what it's got - So who gives one!

Cheers guys