Mazda brakes

jmma, Mar 30, 7:51am
Made a mistake the other night and drove my mother in laws car, dumb I know.
Anyway noticed when braking it nearly throws you through the front window. Going to check all the brakes in the weekend, any ideas!
Mazda Familia 2002 4dr hatch thingy, dont no engine size and its silver colour before someone asks, 177,000km

morrisman1, Mar 30, 7:55am
is it a momentary period of intense braking or just a more sensitive pedal than what you are used to. Many japanese cars over-assist the brakes to give you the illusion that there is some wickedly powerful brakes up front when really there isnt

sr2, Mar 30, 7:56am
+1 Good advice.

jmma, Mar 30, 7:57am
Could be over-assist, but they feel very severe

jmma, Mar 30, 8:07am
OK fair enough answers, I am a mechanic, just haven,t mechaniced for awhile, I feel they are severe enough for me to want to check them out, so I'll have a good look in the weekend

sr2, Mar 30, 8:32am
Modern Jap Mastervac boosters are usually very reliable. If it feels that there is too much boost as opposed to grabbing or requiring too much pedal pressure to reach cracking point (silly as it sounds this symptom can easily be interpreted as ???over boosting???) I would stick with Morrismans original diagnosis. Some cars brakes are very much over boosted from new.

cuda.340, Mar 30, 8:38am
my mazda BT50 brakes are real good. always concerned what might hit me from behind since i can pull up real good. i have driven other cars that are a bit like your foots on a rock before they start to pull up. try driving another car similar to the familiar

jmma, Mar 30, 8:51am
OK so I have to get out of the 80's and into the real world. Sounds like they are normal then, I drive a Dyna truck , Previa, L300 van and 90 corolla

jmma, Mar 30, 9:15am
I did have a thought like that, used to happen on the old Holdens if you dropped the rubber disc off, used to end up in the booster. Thanks fish, will check that when doing them

sr2, Mar 30, 10:44am
Good call, although in my experience (I??

sr2, Sep 11, 11:09pm
Yes the big HQ single diaphragm booster had a bad habit of doing that, usually as a result of a corroded up master cylinder being removed and taking the output shaft and seal with it allowing the reaction disc to fall out. With the booster still fitted to the car it was near impossible to fish the reaction disc out of the booster. I repaired a fair few in the old days of working for PBR (usually flogged out Queensland taxis) by just fitting another disc, never had a problem with the fix. Just a quick note that any Mastervac missing a reaction disc will produce very noticeable pedal height issues.