Does my car need cambelt doing? help!

Page 1 / 2
lisa_marie40, Mar 28, 7:28am
i get a squealing noise when accelerating does that mean it needs doing! how much does that cost to fix! thanks

intrade, Mar 28, 7:32am
it be the fan belt to look at. 40 to 120$ to replace

im_andrew, Mar 28, 7:33am
No that just sounds like an accessory belt. Cam belts are cogged so they cant slip and squeal. Budget $30 or so for the belt and maybe 10 minutes to fit it. I believe repco and supercheap both have a fittingservice for belts and such.

im_andrew, Mar 28, 7:36am
What kind of car is it!

lisa_marie40, Mar 28, 7:38am
1998 ford mondeo

lisa_marie40, Mar 28, 7:40am
is there any other things that would happen if it does need to be repaired! the idle in my car is really bad, car dies when idling at lights etc would this be from the cam belt (or whatever its called)

skin1235, Mar 28, 7:46am
no but they do have a habit of fouling the afm, this causes the idle issue, which would take a handy person about 10 minutes to remove clean and replace,
as for the cambelt, what is the total km it has done, and has the cambelt been done before, they are recommended to be done at about 135000km

edit reco is 150thousand km or 10 yrs to replace belt

lisa_marie40, Mar 28, 7:49am
car sum times goes out while driving, getting hard to start.would the fan belt do this! intrade, if i take it to repco or supercheap auto will they put it in!

lisa_marie40, Mar 28, 7:52am
im not sure total kms, could find out tomorrow when more light, so where can i go and what do i ask for to fix this! cheapest option please really need this car cant drive it like this much longer.

the_chooky, Mar 28, 7:53am
Ha if it's ya cam belt squealing,it's all over rover.
But seriously, it will be the alternator or powersteer belt making that noise.
Get it looked at one day.

lisa_marie40, Mar 28, 7:53am
will c if i can find out now.

lisa_marie40, Mar 28, 8:01am
ok the current ks on the clock now are 244221 and on the engine it says cambelt renewed 213496km 27/3/09

thunderbolt, Mar 28, 8:13am
FYI: Neither Repco or Supercheap will fit this for you.
Take the car to your local mechanic.

lisa_marie40, Mar 28, 8:15am
how much is a fanbelt to replace! can the store fix that for me (is it easy)! or more involved.

im_andrew, Mar 28, 8:25am
Im pretty sure they do, their fitting service includes lamps, wiper refills as well as oil and filters. They normally have a big chart up by the counter listing prices for this

lisa_marie40, Mar 28, 8:29am
i just read about the fanbelt on the net and it sounds like whats happening. http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/19787/inspect_repair_or_replace_your_vehicles.html!cat=27 is the website, mentions it loosing power, worried about stopping at the lights cause the car stalls squeeling.

im_andrew, Mar 28, 8:34am
Should point out too, on a mondeo (and most modern cars)nthe acessory belt drives everything but the fans. The alternator and powersteer pump are driven by the belt, the fans are electric.

lisa_marie40, Mar 28, 8:39am
so should i ph repco tomorrow and ask about a fanbelt replacing and can they fit it for me!

im_andrew, Mar 28, 8:41am
Probably easiest just to go into the store, they will need to know the size of the belt to give you a price anyway

lisa_marie40, Mar 28, 8:44am
ok thanks im_andrew :) will do hopefully it don't cost me the earth lol.

chanelle, Mar 28, 9:56am
go to your local pit stop and get them to do a quote for you. they do all this for free and ive had awesome service and the cheapest repairs by far this way.

intrade, Mar 28, 9:58am
dont go to pitstop ever in hell they will tell you all your brakes andcambelt need replacing also plis this that and that also and then wreck your car .

intrade, Mar 28, 10:01am
if you need to know who to take it to are you in hamilton!all you need is the fanbelt tightened or replaced if it has worn due to squealing and the airflow meter cleanedwith a bottle of carb cleaner. 150$ tops for these 2 jobs with new belt myght include new aircleaner

chanelle, Mar 28, 10:04am
really. i thought i needed my brakes done and they said. nope still have a bunch of the pad left.
ive had awesome service from the tory street branch

intrade, Mar 28, 10:13am
somone reported that a pitstop was good in wellington once but the rule is they are out to rip you off with people employed with no clue. horrorstories with cars that have only 1 brake pad fitted was posted not long ago and they found the pad in the rubbish after . franchise like midas pitstop operate like this.
pitstop whangarei wanted to machine once a clients brake for 225$ when all it needed was new pads that i fitted in 5 minutes.