Ceased my compressor?

Page 1 / 2
dasfi, Mar 12, 8:17am
Had to much oil in it and it stopped, drained some out but i guess its pretty well screwed now!

40wav, Mar 12, 8:20am
Is there an electrical reset button on the motor anywhere! It may have tripped out!

muzz67, Mar 12, 8:20am
shouldn't be.meybe pushed oil throo valves! Drain tank too.

mugenb20b, Mar 12, 8:20am
Seized.

dasfi, Mar 12, 8:21am
when ya try turn it on it makes a funny noise, not it compressing, more like the electric motor trying to drive the piston!

dasfi, Mar 12, 8:32am
Bugger i was borrowing it to lol

dasfi, Mar 12, 8:35am
well was going to use it, the see through gauge indicated it was low so i put some in , till correct level but was using it and then pretty much seized, looked at oil gauge and it was overfill! are you supposed to run it before u check oil!

intrade, Mar 12, 8:42am
how can it seeze with to much oil you smurfs

dasfi, Mar 12, 8:44am
well hydraulicd ! (sp)

intrade, Mar 12, 8:48am
drain the tank ofair and see if it will start again i cant see how it can hydrauic . more like you turned it off at the wall while it was still filling and has not blowen empty the releave pressure and now cant start due to the air trapped in there. Its how somone cooked my cheap first 220volt compressor. motor buzzing but cant turn over. and of corse get he oil level correct .

dasfi, Mar 12, 8:49am
ok will try that now,, Cheers

dasfi, Mar 12, 8:53am
No go, No reset button at all on it, it a supercheap one, drained all air but still locked up

intrade, Mar 12, 8:58am
maybe it broke then i got a supercheap one also here works well no problems
No buzzing of the motor! or you cooked it already maybe.

dasfi, Mar 12, 8:58am
yep theres a buzzing of the motor but thats it

intrade, Mar 12, 9:01am
i just looked my one has a reset and its from supercheap.
even got a sticker on housing where you fill oil push to reset.
button is behind the aircleaner plasticcover

intrade, Mar 12, 9:03am
you myght have to remove the cover and try by hand to rotate the motor both directions to see and figure why it locked up, but i doubt the overfilling has anything to do with it locking up, unless it blew a part and jammed it now somewhere .

dasfi, Mar 12, 9:04am
just checked, definalty no reset button

dasfi, Mar 12, 9:10am
yep might upload one tomorrow

pollymay, Mar 12, 11:17am
If it hydrauliced and a rod isn't bent then you could take it to bits and drain the oil then away it goes again. Even if you can get at the valve easy and undo it carefully then turn it on, it'll make a mess but it clears them out fast :)

ginga4lyfe, Mar 12, 12:24pm
that normally means the starting Capacitor is dead, you may as well buy another unit, once the capacitor has blown they are almost worthless

mrfxit, Mar 12, 8:11pm
Depend on if the cap is builtin or bolted on.
The buzzing could be a jammed cyl or faulty capacitor/motor
Jammed could be
bent rod
Stuck rings
Bent motor shaft
Seized bearing

I would go with the siezed bearig or buggered capacitor/motor

Yep need to find out if it still turns over by hand & what if any noises

74nova, Mar 12, 8:13pm
Caps are about $5 to buy and easy to replace.
If the overload had tripped the motor wouldn't be buzzing. It sounds like either the starter cap has failed of the compressor unit has crapped out. Pull it apart and check things out.

lookoutas, Mar 12, 8:24pm
You need to bury it before it starts to stink

hijacka, Mar 13, 9:28pm
Ive fixed heaps of them.remove head and expose piston and rod.spray the siezed crank/rod with crc or similar.hit rod with a rubber mullet each side till it free's up then reassemble and add new comp oil.
Direct drive compressors are shocking for seizing (especially supercheap compressors) but dont stress its easy fix.

richms, Mar 14, 3:07am
Yeah, the useless starting torque of the lousy singlephase induction motor doesnt help, if it was 3phase it would probably be able to overcome the binding and start

Mine has done it a couple of times but turning it on and picking up the handle and dropping it about 100mm back onto the ground has got it going again. No opening needed.